About the role
The Director of People and Operations is the central role at FYA leading an integrated and highly strategic approach to people (HR, learning, diversity, culture) and operations (technology, the workplace).
Reporting to the Executive Director, Business Services, and working closely with the Executive team, key initiatives over the coming 12 months will include recruitment to support our new strategy, a review of all employment conditions and policies, and designing a new “COVID and beyond” approach to the ‘office’.
Key to success will be your highly collaborative nature; ability to see the big picture of how people and operations underpins our overall mission and business goals; quickly translate vision into manageable, practical steps; and a hands-on approach to get the job done.
- Lead the people functions of the organisation including, recruitment, contracting and induction, performance management systems, OH&S, employment policy compliance including dispute resolution, learning and development and FYA’s engagement with career development and internship programs.
- Oversee FYA’s workplace environment, tools and systems, including management of FYA’s building as well as any rented facilities, OH&S related to facilities, technology including hardware, software, online services, documentation and business continuity; and delivery of organisational retreat and convenings.
- Internal communications including, preparing FYA’s all staff meeting and other regular all-team communications, oversight of internal online communications channels and preparation of internal newsletters and bulletins.
- Lead other strategic people and operations projects as required.
It is expected that candidates for this role will have many, if not all of these experiences and skills:
- Approximately 7-8+ years work experience in non-profit organisations, especially in senior people and operations roles.
Demonstrated experience in people and/or human resources work including recruitment, performance management, legal compliance, OH&S and beyond.
- Demonstrated skills in organisational-wide change projects, especially with a focus on culture and diversity.
- Demonstrated experience and general knowledge in areas such as governance, risk management, financial management and legal issues.
- Experience with social justice and youth empowerment, likely through work with non-profit organisations, social justice movements, or youth-led organisations.
- Superior communications skills, including ability to craft compelling and concise written communications and presentation skills.
About the organisation
About the Foundation for Young Australians
Today’s generation of young Australians are facing unprecedented and intersecting crises. They also have the skills, insight and ambition to address them. At the Foundation for Young Australians, our vision is that young people have the power to beat injustice and transform the future. In pursuit of this vision, our purpose is to back young people with the trust, resources, skills, and connections to make change.
FYA has an incredible history, new CEO, focused strategy, dynamic team and board, and a unique resource base. We are now shaping a future-focused organisation committed to the highest standards of professionalism, culture and conditions, diversity, and impact -- all centered around our key constituents: young people.
Our work is guided by a commitment to beating injustice. We strongly encourage applications from people with successful track records advocating for justice as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people, people of colour, women, people with disability, LGBTIQA+ communities and migrants to Australia. We acknowledge our sector has systematically excluded these communities and are committed to changing this.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Director, People & Operations via Pro Bono Australia.