About the role
Blue Knot Foundation’s core mission is to support the recovery of adult survivors of childhood trauma. They offer a range of important services including the Blue Knot Helpline, Trauma Informed Case Management to support applicants applying for the National Redress Scheme, National Counselling and Referral Service supporting the Disability Royal Commission, educational workshops, professional development training, supervision, consultancy and other services.
Blue Knot Foundation is committed to enabling people affected by childhood trauma to live satisfying and meaningful lives, and to feel connected with their communities.
Benefits & Culture
- Passionate and collaborative team culture
- Commitment to training and development
- Diverse recognition framework
- Generous salary packaging provisions
This position offers trauma-informed, person-centred, support, information and referrals to callers who are survivors of complex childhood trauma and their personal supporters. The Blue Knot Helpline also supports survivors of institutional sexual abuse as they engage with or apply to the National Redress Scheme.
The position involves assessing and appropriately responding to callers’ needs, maintaining caller safety and stability as a priority and responding with a trauma-informed approach promoting safety, trust, choice, collaboration and empowerment. Additionally you will:
- Conduct risk assessments and interventions as necessary
- Work collaboratively with a highly specialised team
- Provide short term trauma-informed counselling interventions
- Provide psychosocial education about the impacts of trauma
- Support people applying to the National Redress Scheme
- Assist service providers with information and referrals
- Adhere to best practice clinical protocols in working with complex trauma
- Attend to self-care by attending professional development, regular supervision and monitoring for vicarious trauma
You have a 5+ years post graduate experience providing counselling to survivors of complex childhood trauma and/or violence, or in mental health. Your knowledge and expertise in complex trauma, trauma dynamics and the impacts and effects of traumatic stress will see you succeed in this role.
You are responsive and flexible to work tasks, have a high level of emotional competency and are committed to upholding a recovery focused practice while working in a high demand trauma environment. You will also have:
- A current membership or eligibility to a relevant professional body
- Tertiary qualifications in counselling or psychology
- A person-centred approach to working with people
- Skills in risk assessment, intervention and crisis management
- Intermediate computer skills (Word, excel, outlook and internet use)
- The ability to work part time shifts – 3 or 5 day per week, with fixed week day shifts and rotating weekend shifts each month
People with disabilities and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are passionate about empowering people with complex trauma, hold suitable qualifications and experience, please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter addressing the skills required quoting # 393698. Please call Kelly Gentle on 0409 030 595 if you have specific questions about this opportunity.
About the organisation
How to apply
Please quote in application: Trauma-Informed Telephone Counsellor via Pro Bono Australia.