About the role
Under the direction of the Homeless Law’s Senior Lawyer (Clinics Lead) and Manager & Principal Lawyer, and working closely with all Homeless Law staff, the Legal Administrator ensures the effective and efficient coordination of Homeless Law enquiries and service delivery, including legal casework files. The Legal Administrator also plays an active role in the provision of timely and professional services, so that access to the justice system is improved through pro bono legal assistance for people experiencing or at risk of homelessness.
- Triaging client enquiries to accurately assess eligibility for Homeless Law services and, where necessary, providing appropriate referrals and information.
- Engaging and communicating effectively with people experiencing challenging circumstances, including homelessness, housing insecurity, family violence, and overwhelming fines and debts, along with their support workers.
- Managing legal clinic bookings, including liaising with Homeless Law staff and pro bono lawyers, in-house social workers, community host agency staff and clients to make and confirm appointments.
- Providing ongoing support related to Justice Connect’s new Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, Microsoft Dynamics 365, particularly ensuring the maintenance of accurate records and files, including gathering information about clients’ legal matters, conflict checking, recording file notes, and contributing to file archiving.
- Overseeing incoming and outgoing communications for Homeless Law, including telephone calls, emails and mail.
- Supporting pro bono lawyers and team leaders to undertake work for Homeless Law clients, for example following up on enquiries, providing guidance/support on administrative issues and those related to the CRM, assisting with booking interpreters, and offering current policies and procedures.
- Recruitment and day-to-day supervision of student volunteers who assist with triage, enquiries, research and administration.
- Contributing to Homeless Law’s continued operations and service delivery, including through accurate and timely data collection, collation, analysis and reporting.
- Coordinating meetings, training and events (logistical issues, registration, distribution of materials, arranging venues or digital platforms).
- Escalating risk and legal practice management issues to Homeless Law’s Senior Lawyer (Clinics Lead), Principal Lawyer or Manager.
- Contributing to Justice Connect’s Reconciliation Action Plan activities.
- Performing other duties as directed and necessary to the proper performance of the role.
- Please view attached PDF for information regarding selection criteria.
- Justice Connect offers employment benefits including salary packaging (making part of your salary tax-free), flexible working arrangements, above award annual leave provisions and opportunities for professional development. Justice Connect is an organisation that strives to show leadership, operate sustainably and demonstrate our effectiveness. You will be rewarded with a workplace culture that is professional, committed, collaborative and creative and where you can make a real difference through your work.
About the organisation
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of Australia’s most successful public interest and social justice organisations. Justice Connect is a not-for-profit organisation with a vision of a fair and strong community in which people have a fair chance at a better life, the community sector is strong and vibrant and the legal/justice and non-legal social systems are fairer and better.
At Justice Connect, we believe everyone deserves a fair chance at a better life. Too often, our legal system is complicated, expensive and inaccessible. And when the system doesn’t work for everyone, it works for no one. It holds our community back. That’s why we use the law to help people and community groups left behind by an unfair and complicated legal system. Whether it’s a single mother facing homelessness, a local community group struggling with overwhelming regulation or an older person dealing with family violence, real-life problems so often have legal solutions. That’s why we connect people with legal help. We use the power of the law to open up the legal system for those locked out of it, and to change the system where it is broken.
The key to our impact is the passionate commitment of our people. We hold ourselves to the highest standards, driven by a desire to deliver real improvements in the lives of the people and communities we help.
About Homeless Law:
Homeless Law is our specialist legal service for people experiencing or at risk of homelessness in Victoria. We work closely with pro bono lawyers to provide hundreds of people with legal representation, advice and information. Our services are client-centred and outreach-focussed, and we don’t just address legal issues. Homeless Law's social workers and our relationships with the homelessness sector build our capacity to holistically understand and respond to clients with complex needs.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Legal Administrator, Homeless Law via Pro Bono Australia.