About the role
The Principal Lawyer (Vic) of Seniors Law will be responsible for providing legal advice and secondary consults for help-seekers within our Health Justice Partnerships (HJPs) in Victoria; supervising the program’s legal practice in conjunction with the Seniors Law Principal Lawyer (NSW); and delivering activities in the work plan.
- Supervise legal services provided by the Seniors Law lawyers in Victoria, and lead staff to achieve the highest professional standards
- Provide high quality legal advice to help-seekers, undertake casework, and provide secondary consultations to health staff within our HJPs
- Oversee referrals to pro bono firms, and provide guidance and support to pro bono lawyers
- Design, supervise and conduct training on relevant issues for health professionals, staff and pro bono lawyers
- Maintain existing and establish new relationships with partner agencies, participating law firms and other relevant stakeholders
- Promote and publicise HJPs, including by representing HJPs in a range of public forums, the media and by contributing to internal and external publications
- Identify casework trends and systemic problems impacting on older people and engage in various initiatives — including projects, law reform and advocacy activities — to address these problems
- Contribute to organisational and program-specific projects and policy and advocacy work
- Alongside the Seniors Law Principal Lawyer (NSW), participate in and share the leadership of the Practice Management Group (PMG) responsible for Justice Connect’s compliance with practice management requirements including accreditation and insurance
- Ensure that HJPs comply with governance and funding requirements, including reporting and evaluation requirements of the Justice Connect Board and external funders
- Contribute to, and where relevant take ownership of, organisational processes, process improvement projects, integration of digital channels to service models, increased cross-organisation consistency and undertake quality assurance measures
- Contributing to Justice Connect’s Reconciliation Action Plan activities.
- Perform other duties as directed and necessary to the proper performance of the role
- Please view attached PDF for information regarding selection criteria.
- Justice Connect offers employment benefits including salary packaging (making part of your salary tax-free), flexible working arrangements, above award annual leave provisions and opportunities for professional development. Justice Connect is an organisation that strives to show leadership, operate sustainably and demonstrate our effectiveness. You will be rewarded with a workplace culture that is professional, committed, collaborative and creative and where you can make a real difference through your work.
About the organisation
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of Australia’s most successful public interest and social justice organisations. Justice Connect is a not-for-profit organisation with a vision of a fair and strong community in which people have a fair chance at a better life, the community sector is strong and vibrant and the legal/justice and non-legal social systems are fairer and better.
At Justice Connect, we believe everyone deserves a fair chance at a better life. Too often, our legal system is complicated, expensive and inaccessible. And when the system doesn’t work for everyone, it works for no one. It holds our community back. That’s why we use the law to help people and community groups left behind by an unfair and complicated legal system. Whether it’s a single mother facing homelessness, a local community group struggling with overwhelming regulation or an older person dealing with family violence, real-life problems so often have legal solutions. That’s why we connect people with legal help. We use the power of the law to open up the legal system for those locked out of it, and to change the system where it is broken.
The key to our impact is the passionate commitment of our people. We hold ourselves to the highest standards, driven by a desire to deliver real improvements in the lives of the people and communities we help.
Seniors Law has 10 years’ experience designing and delivering legal services in health care settings. In 2017 the Victorian Health Promotion Foundation recognised the value of our work to address elder abuse, awarding our Health Justice Partnership (HJP) with cohealth a VicHealth award for “Improving Health Equity”.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Principal Lawyer (VIC), Seniors Law via Pro Bono Australia.