About the role
- Part-time (3 days/per week) for 18 months (with the possibility of extension depending on funding)
- Work in an exciting health-justice partnership
- Generous salary packaging
West Heidelberg Community Legal at Banyule Community Health is seeking to employ a suitably qualified Community Lawyer – Generalist Practice who will be responsible for the provision of legal assistance including advice and continuing casework, referral, information and community legal education to the community. This position will have a current focus on identifying and responding to legal needs that have arisen or been exacerbated by the impact of COVID-19 and may involve some outreach and engagement activities. Further, in consultation with the Principal Lawyer and the Legal
Service team, the incumbent will contribute to the continuous planning and development of the Legal Service to ensure it is always responsive to changing community needs.
The key responsibilities for this position include:
- Provide prompt, sensitive and accurate legal assistance to clients, including advice, case work and community legal education
- Identify and develop relationships with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure the Legal Service is effectively reaching priority client groups
- Engage as required with BCH program and other services to deliver person centred holistic assistance to clients
- Engage with BCH programs and other key advocacy organisations to undertake collaborative law reform work consistent with the objectives of the Legal Service and BCH Strategic Plan
- Show appropriate initiative as required for the role and effectively manage competing demands
The key skills required for this role include:
- Demonstrated experience as a generalist community lawyer in relevant areas of law, in particular tenancy, fines or other areas of civil legal practice relevant to community legal practice
- Demonstrated experience in client file management work, and an ability to effectively follow file and risk management procedures as these relate to the Legal Service
- A demonstrated ability to work in a culturally sensitive and empowering manner with clients and groups from diverse backgrounds and who may have complex needs
- To participate in continuous quality improvement activities of the service, including planning and evaluation of projects and service delivery as well as performance
About the organisation
West Heidelberg Community Legal is a program of Banyule Community Health. Banyule Community Health has two main sites, one in the heart of West Heidelberg and the other near the train station of Greensborough. The Quality and Community Programs Team, of which WHCL is a part, provides a range of services, including social work, Aboriginal health, prevention and health promotion projects, maternal and child health, chronic disease related programs as well as this work with local young people.
Enquiries may be directed to Stephanie Price, Principal Lawyer on (03) 9450 2029.
Banyule Community Health is an equal opportunity employer and are committed to ensuring recruitment processes are fair to all candidates.
Please address key selection criteria in your cover letter
How to apply
Please quote in application: Community Lawyer – Generalist Practice via Pro Bono Australia.