About the role
- Do you want to make a difference to the lives and human rights of children, young people and their families of refugee and asylum seeker background in their experience of resettlement in Australia?
- Are you skilled and experienced in working therapeutically with children and young people who have experienced trauma and have difficulties as a result of these experiences?
- Do you have knowledge in child development, trauma and its impact upon children, young people and families?
- Are you qualified as a psychologist, social worker or counsellor or relevant university degree similar?
Foundation House has a 12 month fixed term, part time (0.8 EFT) position for a Counsellor Advocate in the Child Youth and Family program based at our Sunshine site.
About the role
We are seeking a Counsellor Advocate to join the Direct Services team which provides high quality services in the form of counselling, advocacy, family support, group work, psycho-education, information sessions and complementary therapies work. The Counsellor Advocate provides trauma informed and trauma focussed therapeutic interventions for children and young people and their families in line with VFST’s Integrated Trauma Recovery Service Model. Previous experience working with refugees and asylum seekers or other groups who are highly vulnerable and/or have experienced trauma and/or marginalisation will be highly regarded.
A large proportion of client work occurs off site and on an outreach basis. Some travel to other Foundation House sites and venues will also be required.
Reporting to the Child, Youth and Family program Team Leader, you will be supported by highly skilled and qualified practitioners and receive regular supervision and valuable support.
Salary and Benefits
Remuneration is based on our Enterprise Agreement 2014 up to $91,746 gross per annum pro rata. Benefits include generous salary packaging, leave loading, a range of flexible working options and a highly supportive team environment.
VFST is an equal opportunity employer.
VFST promotes the safety and well-being of children.
Conditional employment requirements:
- Satisfactory police check
- Working with Children Check
- Proof of the right to work and live in Australia
About the organisation
About Foundation House
The Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture Inc. (also known as Foundation House) provides services to advance the health, wellbeing and human rights of people of refugee backgrounds in Victoria who have experienced torture or other traumatic events in their country of origin or while fleeing those countries.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Counsellor/Social Worker/Psychologist via Pro Bono Australia.