About the role
The Chief Magistrate of the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria seeks expressions of interest from qualified persons for appointment as a Judicial Registrar of the Court.
Judicial Registrars are appointed by the Governor in Council on the recommendation of the Attorney-General. All expressions of interest are treated confidentially and may be drawn upon on an ongoing basis as future vacancies arise.
The successful candidate will be legally qualified with substantial practice experience and a demonstrated understanding of the Court’s processes. The candidate must also have superior communications skills, resilience, and the ability to make timely decisions in a fast-moving environment.
Judicial Registrars may exercise all or any powers of the Court delegated to them pursuant to the Magistrates’ Court (Judicial Registrars) Rules 2015 which include the following:
- Certain summary and traffic offences
- Any infringeable offence
- Certain matters associated with warrants and search warrants
- Licence eligibility applications
- Certain matters coming within the Diversion Program in the criminal jurisdiction of the court
- Certain Civil causes of action for damages, debt or liquidated demands the value of which is less than $10,000 Or $20,000 where the action relates to motor car damages
- Certain offences under the Fences Act 1968
- Civil Interlocutory applications
- Civil mediations
- Applications under the Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal Act 1996
- Certain applications for Personal Safety Intervention Orders
Judicial Registrars are required to sit at all the locations of the Court throughout Victoria as directed by the Chief Magistrate.
About the organisation
How to apply
Expressions of interest, to be marked ‘Private and Confidential’, should include a resume, a short covering letter outlining your interest in the role and details of appropriate professional and personal referees. They should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All expressions of interest must be received by no later than close of business on Sunday 29 November 2020. Any queries should be directed Johanna Begbie to on 03 9032 0904.
Please quote in application: Judicial Registrar (Expression of Interest) via Pro Bono Australia.