About the role
Today’s generation of young Australians are facing unprecedented and intersecting crises. They also have the skills, insight and ambition to address them. At FYA, our vision is that young people have the power to beat injustice and transform the future. In pursuit of this vision, our purpose is to back young people with the trust, resources, skills, and connections to make change.
We are currently seeking to recruit a voluntary non-executive director between 18 and 25 years old to join our Board.
The role of the FYA Board is to protect the mission of FYA and support the organisation in backing young people to beat injustice and transform the future. We’re seeking a new Board Member who can bring creative thinking, diverse lived experience, and insight as a young person to our new strategy as we operationalise in 2021.
In particular we’re searching for new directors who have experience and skills in engagement with youth-led organisations or campaigning, or community organising. The Board also oversees governance and strategy matters, ensuring the organisation uses its finances in a sustainable, ethical way.
- Approximately 4 hours every two months (or 6 hours if you also serve on a subcommittee) and one full day workshop per year.
- The Board meets six times per year. Board sub-committees meet four times per year.
- This is a voluntary role (no remuneration is paid). Any expenses to participate will be covered.
- The term is for two years and directors can be re-appointed to serve a maximum of two additional terms in total.
FYA Board members are responsible for:
- Protecting the mission of the Foundation for Young Australians (FYA) and support the organisation in backing young people to beat injustice and transform the future;
- Ensuring long term strategy is in place, and advise on strategy and resourcing decisions;
- Helping to oversee and advise on campaign strategy and capacity building programs; and
- Ensuring organisational oversight, including approval of major strategic and financial decisions.
All board members are required to undergo a National Police Check prior to commencement.
About the organisation
FYA is committed to maintaining a strong and diverse Board where individual members bring unique perspectives and strengths to the organisation.
We strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people, people of colour, people with disability, LGBTIQ+ communities, migrants and women.
We value all kinds of experience and FYA, and previous board and/or governance experience is not required for this role.
The desired candidate for this role may have some or all of the following:
- A genuine interest and passion in creating systems change.
- Experience in youth-led campaigns, movements or organisations.
- Experience working with or involvement in not for profit organisations.
Experience in any of the following will also be looked upon favourably:
- Experience on previous boards or committees.
- An understanding of financial and non-financial risk management.
- An understanding of marketing and digital media.
- Experience in people management, health and safety and environmental and social responsibility.
- Financial or accounting knowledge or qualifications.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Board Member (Voluntary) via Pro Bono Australia.