About the role
The Senior Policy Analyst reports to the Director, Policy and Government Relations as part of a small team. The Senior Policy Analyst will be responsible for providing secretariat support to the policy Forums, developing policy positions, working with the Project Manager, Policy to develop and manage projects, coordinating government submissions, coordinating, drafting and editing policy documents and reports, and assisting in the organisation of events and other platforms for stakeholders to engage with ATSE’s work. The Senior Policy Analyst will provide advice to internal stakeholders across the organisation, and work closely with Fellows and other key stakeholders.
KEY RESULTS AREAS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Senior Policy Analyst will work as part of a small team to develop and deliver cogent, relevant, evidence-based policy advice and expert reports on strategic priority matters that will influence national debate and inform government, industry and the public.
To achieve this, the Senior Policy Analyst will:
- identify and engage with relevant policy issues, experts and key stakeholders
- monitor and develop policy opportunities, with reference to existing evidence, programs, and expertise, and identifying the impact, intended outcomes, and potential risks
- undertake complex research and prepare high-level briefings, presentations, submissions, papers and reports
- provide professional secretariat support on policy issues to ATSE’s Forums, Divisions, and Assembly, and plan and facilitate meetings, workshops, and events
- support the Director in developing and maintaining systems and procedures for strategic co-ordination and implementation of policy activities
- support and work with other Policy Analysts in the Policy and Government Relations team
- establish and manage relationships with Fellows, stakeholders, and peers in like organisations
- assist the Project Manager, Policy to develop, manage and deliver policy projects
- liaise, negotiate and collaborate across the organisation
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Demonstrated exceptional analytical, research and problem solving skills
- Exceptional written skills, with demonstrated experience in synthesising complex information into high quality briefings and reports
- A strong policy background with demonstrated success in the effective analysis, development and delivery of influential policy work
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team, managing workloads and priorities to achieve organisational priorities
- Demonstrated ability to successfully build and maintain internal and external relationships
- Postgraduate qualifications in a field appropriate to the position
- Experience in or passion for technology, engineering or science policy, research or industry
ATSE is an inclusive employer. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. We welcome applications from people with culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; who identify as LGBTIQ+; and people with disability.
About the organisation
The Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering (ATSE) is a Learned Academy of independent, objective experts helping Australians understand and use technology to solve complex problems. Bringing together Australia’s leading thinkers in applied science, technology and engineering, ATSE provides impartial, practical and evidence-based advice on how to achieve sustainable solutions and advance prosperity.
ATSE provides evidence-based, independent advice to governments, industry, research institutions and the wider Australian public on policy issues impacted by science, technology, innovation and engineering. This policy work is primarily conducted via ATSE’s issue-based Forums – Agriculture, Digital Futures, STEM Education, Energy, Health Technology, Industry & Innovation, Infrastructure, Mineral Resources, and Water. The Forums are supported by a professional secretariat in the Policy and Government Relations team, who also support the ATSE state and territory Divisions to engage on policy issues, and develop and deliver strategic projects to inform government decision-making.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Policy Analyst via Pro Bono Australia.