About the role
We are looking for an experienced Youth Career Coach, who brings demonstrated experience in effectively engaging with young people with complex needs to achieve positive educational/employment outcomes. Reporting to the Project Officer, Entry School Leavers and working with a dedicated and passionate team, this pivotal role will provide career support to disadvantaged school-aged young people on the Ready for Work Program, to enable them to make successful transitions into educational and career pathways.
A day in the life of a Youth Career Coach might look like this, but every day can be different. Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Provide career coaching and support to disadvantaged young people between the ages of 15-18years to enable them to successfully pursue and implement individual development plans with the aim of remaining at school or transitioning into a positive pathway
- Communicate and collaborate with Family Partnership Coordinators to identify and support the young people who can most benefit from the initiative
- Work with partnership coordinators and Family Partnership Coordinators to support the delivery of hands- on career related programs to senior secondary students within partner school across Victoria. This includes digital and face to face programs and activities.
- Develop and maintain existing community, corporate and government networks and relationships that lead to educational and employment opportunities for participants
- Maintain effective data collection and record keeping to support outcomes measurement and evaluation
It takes a special kind of person to be a Youth Career Coach. Our successful candidate will possess the following:
- Minimum qualification of certificate IV in one or more of the following: youth work, social work, career development, education, training, employment services
- Demonstrated experience in facilitation, training and coordinating community and or youth focused events
- Proven track record of developing and maintaining effective partnerships with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Highly developed organisational, administrative (including computer literacy) and time management skills.
- Ability to work autonomously with ‘can do’ attitude as well as work as part of a team.
Additional (non-essential) qualities that will set you apart include:
- Knowledge of and experience in working with culturally and Linguistically Diverse communities
- Track record of being prepared to trial new approaches, adopt a try test and learn approach and effectively influence to build support for new approaches
- A depth of knowledge about the causes and consequences of youth unemployment and the kinds of strategies that are successful in helping young people follow pathways to further education or work
- Demonstrated knowledge of data collection and reporting requirements for funded programs
Living up to our employment promise, our team members tell us that working for The Smith Family they have great job flexibility and the ability to work alongside committed, passionate and professional team members whilst engaging in challenging, fulfilling and diverse work. In turn, our team members believe that they offer commitment to our vision, mission and values and effective collaboration with fellow team members to delivery strong performance outcomes.
About the organisation
The Smith Family is a national, independent children’s charity helping disadvantaged Australians to get the most out of their education.
How to apply
If you are passionate about what you do, committed to make a difference and this sounds like your next role, please click apply, we’d love to hear from you.
Due to the nature of this role, the successful candidate must be prepared to undertake a National Police Check and a Working with Children’s Check. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to principles of cultural diversity. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.
Please quote in application: Youth Career Coach via Pro Bono Australia.