About the role
The National Council is looking for an experienced communications officer who has relevant tertiary qualifications and a minimum of five years’ experience. A solid understanding of current social policy issues, the political process and media is essential. The role requires someone who can write for different audiences with minimal supervision. This is a relatively senior role, working to the National Communications Director.
This position is responsible to the National Communications Director or delegate, for the following key accountabilities:
- Support the work of the communications team
- Populate and monitor the National Council’s Twitter account, including sourcing/producing relevant graphics
- Draft and distribute media releases
- Share the responsibility for receiving and directing media inquiries
- Draft and distribute the fortnightly electronic newsletter
- Apply the Style Manual to all work
- Maintain photo library, contact lists and advocacy calendar
- Copywrite for the website and upload policy documents and comms material to the website.
- Assist with monthly meetings of the National Communications Network
The key accountabilities and the associated KPIs cannot be delegated without the authority of the CEO or their delegate. Other duties may be required, as directed, commensurate with skills and abilities.
About the organisation
The St Vincent de Paul Society has lent the hand of support to Australians experiencing disadvantage for over 175 years. Almost 60,000 members and volunteers dedicate their time and talents to this important work in communities across the country.
As well as visiting individuals and families in their homes, the Society runs a range of programs to support people experiencing homelessness; family violence; mental illness; help for migrants and refugees; supported employment; addiction services; education and training; youth support services and Vinnies shops.
At the core of the Society’s good work is a grassroots commitment to helping people break their own personal cycles of disadvantage. Our members and volunteers are on the ground, every day, acutely aware of the hardships that impact the social fabric of modern-day Australia.
How to apply
Please provide your CV and covering letter addressing the selection criteria via email.
Please quote in application: Communications Officer via Pro Bono Australia.