About the role
Direct reports: Advocacy & Campaigns Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director, Advocacy
FTE: Full time (1.0) or part time (0.9)
Location: Melbourne – other locations and virtual/hybrid work arrangements will be considered
Salary range: $105,000 – $130,000 excluding super (depending on experience)
Today’s generation of young Australians are facing unprecedented and intersecting crises. They also have the skills, insight and ambition to address them. At the Foundation for Young Australians, our vision is that young people have the power to beat injustice and transform the future. In pursuit of this vision, our purpose is to back young people with the trust, resources, skills, and connections to make change.
FYA has a new theory of change, dynamic team and board, and a unique resource base. We are now shaping a future-focused organisation committed to the highest standards of professionalism, culture and conditions, diversity, and impact — all centered around our key constituents: young people.
We are seeking an Director of Advocacy to join FYA to assist our team to:
- Develop ongoing programs and strategic ‘in the moment’ support offerings that back young change-makers to strengthen or scale their own impact, including high-level expertise in community organising, campaign messaging/storytelling, and experience in digital engagement and fundraising.
- Empower a broad community of young people passionate about social change, especially young people facing injustice and structural disadvantage.
- Build a community of young changemakers who take action and lead campaigns for social change, in partnership with our Capacity Building and Strategic Project teams (e.g. through partnerships, 1:1 coaching, group training and ad hoc strategic advice).
- Grow strategic partnerships with young people on movement building (e.g. how to recruit, structure or grow supporter groups, logistics of event planning and scaling up movements)
- Maintain relationships with youth-led organisations and work closely with young people leading and organising on-the-ground and digital campaign activities.
- Work closely with the Director, Strategy and Evaluation to monitor and evaluate FYA’s advocacy work and make changes to improve how we partner with young people, and the impact of joint campaigns.
Who we’re looking for
- You have 5+ years experience leading advocacy or campaigning work.
- You already have or have the ability to build strong relationships with youth-led organisations and young people.
- You have demonstrated experience in leading effective campaigns with expertise in crafting campaign messages and mobilising community support on emerging issues in the moment.
- You have hands-on expertise coordinating grassroots campaigns, popular movement building, field organising and digital campaigning.
- You’re skilled in fundraising, particularly crowd-based small dollar fundraising efforts.
- You’re a strong leader and manager with a proven record of balancing competing priorities, and mentoring young people.
- A valid Working with Children Check, or the ability to obtain one, is a requirement of this position.
- Applicants for this role must have a valid, legal right to work in Australia.
About the organisation
How to apply
How to apply
Lodge your application in the ‘work with us’ section of our website by 6pm AEST, Monday 8 March 2021.
Applications should include a detailed resume (no more than 3 pages) or link to a thorough LinkedIn profile. Applications should also include responses to key selection questions on our online application speaking to why you want the role, and how your experience aligns with the desired candidate profile (please do not provide a separate cover letter).
For more information or a confidential discussion, please contact our People & Operations team by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: Director, Advocacy via Pro Bono Australia.