About the role
Direct reports: Temporary staff and consultants as required
Reports to: Executive Director, Advocacy
FTE: Full time or Part time (0.6 to 0.8)
Location: Canberra or Melbourne – other locations and virtual/hybrid work arrangements will be considered
Salary range: $95,000 – $130,000 excluding super (pro rata for part time arrangements)
Today’s generation of young Australians are facing unprecedented and intersecting crises. They also have the skills, insight and ambition to address them. At the Foundation for Young Australians, our vision is that young people have the power to beat injustice and transform the future. In pursuit of this vision, our purpose is to back young people with the trust, resources, skills, and connections to make change.
FYA has a new theory of change, dynamic team and board, and a unique resource base. We are now shaping a future-focused organisation committed to the highest standards of professionalism, culture and conditions, diversity, and impact — all centered around our key constituents: young people.
We are seeking an Director, Government Engagement to join FYA to:
- Act as the key liaison between FYA and federal, state and territory parliamentarians, government departments and agencies.
- Grow and maintain a database of young people who are interested in meeting with their local MPs in electorates across the country to talk about social issues they care deeply about.
- Secure political commitments to engage meaningfully with young people when developing laws and policies they care deeply about or which affect them, and to progress young people’s policy positions into law and policy change.
- Build relationships with ministers and advisors across party lines.
- Work with young people to meet with key decision-makers at critical moments in youth-led campaigns.
- Provide 1:1 support and group training for young people with FYA’s Research & Policy Lead to persuade and build trusted relationships with decision-makers, including pre-meeting briefings and coaching, technical advice on parliamentary processes, debriefing, and relationship management where required.
- Build relationships with youth sector organisations and act as a thought-leader (e.g with philanthropy, NGOs) on building the power of young people through government engagement.
- Work closely with the Director, Strategy and Evaluation to monitor and evaluate FYA’s government engagement (including government engagement from youth-led groups we support) and make changes to boost its impact.
Who we’re looking for
- You have 5+ years experience working in government engagement in a political office, non-profit or industry body. This should include extensive hands on experience:
- Working with government ministers and senior departmental officials
- Understanding parliamentary and electoral processes
- Writing briefing notes and preparing spokespeople for meetings
- With rapid response stakeholder engagement and coordination to respond to urgent and emerging issues
- You have demonstrated experience working with government to secure policy reform. Experience working with all major parties and crossbenchers, and holding relationships at a federal, state and territory level, is particularly valued.
- You are passionate about social change demonstrated through professional or voluntary involvement with non-profit causes.
- You know how to use key workplace tools such as Google apps, Slack etc.
- A valid Working with Children Check, or the ability to obtain one, is a requirement of this position.
- Applicants for this role must have a valid, legal right to work in Australia.
About the organisation
How to apply
How to apply
Lodge your application in the ‘work with us’ section of our website by 6pm AEST, Monday 8 March 2021.
Applications should include a detailed resume (no more than 3 pages) or link to a thorough LinkedIn profile. Applications should also include responses to key selection questions on our online application speaking to why you want the role, and how your experience aligns with the desired candidate profile (please do not provide a separate cover letter).
For more information or a confidential discussion, please contact our People & Operations team by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: Director, Government Engagement via Pro Bono Australia.