About the role
- Coburg , community outreach Northern Metro
- Part time, ongoing
- Exciting new role to support the social and wellbeing needs of people aged over 65
Your new role
Living Well, Ageing Well (LWAW) is an innovative program that incorporates a social prescribing model of health to support older adults who are experiencing, or are at risk of, social isolation and/or loneliness, with a focus on inclusive engagement, co-design, peer/volunteer led community based groups, facilitated access to participation, and wellness education.
The Diversional Therapist actively supports eligible consumers aged 65 or older (or 50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders) through the provision of targeted social and recreational programs to improve and maintain social connections leading to improved wellbeing and increased community engagement, including pathways to volunteering. This includes:
- Provide short term, effective, responsive, goal focused and outcomes-based support that promotes and empowers consumer participation and strengthens the management of activities of daily living
- In partnership with the consumer, plan and facilitate individual lifestyle activity programs based on assessed need to increase socialisation and, where possible, maintain community connections
- Explore consumer interests and develop their skills to improve lifestyle choices and motivate participation in one on one, group-based activities
- Support consumers to explore opportunities and pathways towards sustained community participation through volunteering
What you’ll need to succeed
To be successful with Merri you will go above and beyond to achieve great results for our clients, the organisation and yourself. We’re looking for individuals with:
- Tertiary qualifications in Diversional Therapy, Lifestyle and Leisure, Allied Health, Aged Care or other relevant discipline
- Demonstrated experience supporting the social needs of older adults, preferably in a community-based setting
- Ability to plan and facilitate individualised lifestyle activity programs, including the skills necessary to motivate engagement and participation
- Experience in the planning and facilitation of group social activities for older adults
About the organisation
Your new organisation
At Merri Health, we strive to enrich diverse communities through the provision of quality health care and support services. A career at Merri will see you contributing to a culture that affects change for our clients and the wider community. We are committed to supporting the talent and skills of our employees because we know their capability is the key to our success.
What we offer
We offer a diverse, inclusive and flexible environment which encourages you to bring your whole self to work. As the successful applicant you’ll be joining an organisation where you will be supported to grow, learn and develop your skills to reach your potential.
You will also have access to generous salary packaging, purchase leave and flexible work arrangement options.
How to apply
What you need to do now
If this position captures your interest, take a few minutes to learn more about us on our website. If you would like to review the position description or have any questions about the role please refer to our Career Portal for further information.
Merri Health will only accept applications that are submitted via our Career Portal.
What else do I need to know
Preferred candidates will be subject to comprehensive reference and pre-employment background checking conducted by Merri Health prior to an offer of employment, including criminal record history check, disability worker exclusion scheme check and other employee screening and credential checks as determined by the position description.
All candidates must have the right to work in Australia. Merri Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to ensuring a safe environment for children and young people.
We encourage individuals of diverse backgrounds including but not limited to those from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse, the LGBTIQA+ community and those living with a disability to apply.
Please quote in application: Diversional Therapist via Pro Bono Australia.