About the role
About a career with IIX:
You will join a highly effective team that provides you with unparalleled hands-on exposure to the Impact Investing and Social Finance space. You thrive in tackling development issues and excel in creating solutions using structured strategies and unprecedented programs that address and solve the world’s most pressing problems, from food security to inclusive finance to clean energy. You aim to become a global development leader who has a passion for international development and to get involved in work that makes a difference.
When you join IIX, you embark on a rewarding career where we are heavily invested in your professional development, as we will build on your strengths and help you gain new skills with training, coaching, encouragement, and guiding you in the right direction. It is a valuable addition to advance your career, providing you invaluable exposure to the rapidly growing impact investing space.
As a successful candidate to join our team, you should be:
- Mission-driven: Commitment to social finance and impact investing as a path to unlock society’s potential to effect social change is essential for a happy and successful tenure at IIX.
- Results-oriented: At IIX, we manage toward impact maximization and produce measurable returns. These results strengthen the ecosystem and transform existing realities by helping impact enterprises magnify their impact and scale.
- Resourceful: While IIX is a seasoned stakeholder in the impact enterprise and impact investing space in Asia, we pride ourselves on creating opportunities. Being resourceful and skilled at mobilizing human, financial and political resources to achieve IIX’s mission is a key part of the role.
Some of our clients include foundations such as the Rockefeller Foundation and Bank of America-Merrill Lynch Foundation, corporations such as Standard Chartered Bank and KKR, international non-profits such as Oxfam and World Vision, multilateral institutions such as the Asian Development Bank, UN Agencies such as UNDP, and government agencies such as USAID and SIDA.
IIX’s Innovative Finance team is currently developing various innovative financial vehicles, following the successful Women’s Livelihood Bond (WLB) in July 2017, to provide financing to Impact Enterprises across the world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
IIX is seeking a mission-driven, results-oriented, and resourceful Innovative Finance Manager/VP to be based in Singapore or Australia. The role will assist the structuring of the WLB and other funding vehicles that IIX may develop, while also contributing to IIX’s other areas of work as required. Specifically, the Manager/VP will be expected to support the creation of new business opportunities for capital markets products for IIX, provide strategic business planning, including exploring and executing possible funding and other revenue opportunities. The role will encompass structuring and marketing, as well as post-transaction monitoring and reporting.
Investors Relations and Marketing: activities will include working closely with the Director for Innovative Finance to identify and communicate with potential investors/partners to mobilize resources necessary for launching innovative finance projects. This will involve working alongside a small team to structure future Women’s Livelihood Bonds (which will include originating loans to impact enterprises (IEs) and microfinance institutions (MFIs)) and to market the Bonds to investors.
- Assist to identify potential investors and partners for each bond, secure the participation of donors and partners, and maintain communications with them throughout the transaction.
- Support the team in structuring funding vehicles to finance or refinance loans to borrowers, including structuring appropriate credit protection mechanisms, hedging mechanisms, or other features to meet the needs of investors
- Working with the team to build an internal sales team and/or develop external networks to increase outreach to institutional investors and other investors
- Support the preparation of required materials for the potential borrowers, investors, and donors.
- Coordinate advisors, including placement agents, legal advisors, and tax advisors related to bond structuring
- Support the work to keep the impact angle of the bonds secure and avoid mission drift
Post-Transaction Impact Monitoring and Reporting activities will include working with the team to provide on-going monitoring of borrower-companies from funding through to exit and reporting of results to investors, donors, and other stakeholders on the impact side. The manager/VP will be expected to manage and support the monitoring and evaluation efforts for the portfolio of the companies that form part of each bond portfolio and develop a final report to the donor upon bond maturity capturing results and lessons learned. There is a separate team for financial and credit monitoring.
- Be responsible for the active portfolio management of borrower-companies – including preparing impact performance reports, for investors and other stakeholders;
- Maintain relationships with senior executives from the borrowers and relevant industry partners.
The role can be based in Singapore or Australia.
- At least undergraduate degree in Business Management or a similar field, with a minimum of 8 years experience in a similar field, ideally in debt-capital markets. A strong MBA will be considered favorably.
- Strong analytical abilities, both qualitative and quantitative. Knowledge in financial modeling and analysis is required. Must be comfortable with basic finance and have an affinity for numbers.
- Strong working experience & knowledge in fixed income instruments such as rates & credit, equities, and debts is a plus
- Must have strong excel skills and high attention to detail
- Prior experience in impact investing or sustainability not required but should be willing to adapt to a steep learning curve
- Ability to present information in an insightful and structured manner, both written and oral.
- Entrepreneurial mindset; self-starter comfortable working in a dynamic environment.
- Professional communication skills in English; additional languages highly desirable.
- Desire to work in a collaborative, high-performing team environment, building relationships with other team members, and managing a range of responsibilities.
- Must be a team player, with a passion for entrepreneurship and market-based solutions to poverty, and an understanding of the challenges of investing in the markets we serve.
- Positive and self-motivated attitude.
- Must be experienced and comfortable working in Word, Powerpoint, and Excel.
- Availability for travel.
- Passion in the impact investment space.
- Some work experience in the region
- Fluency or proficiency in one or more regional languages
- You should be highly motivated to work in a collaborative, high-performing team environment, building relationships with other team members and managing a range of responsibilities, and take ownership of the tasks assigned to you.
- Have worked or studied overseas will be an advantage.
Start Date: Immediate
Submission: Please submit a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com; a test on technical knowledge will also be required if you are shortlisted. Qualified candidates will be considered and contacted by a member of the IIX team for interviews and to discuss your skills, interest, and experiences. IIX is an equal opportunity employer.
About the organisation
About Impact Investment Exchange (“IIX”):
IIX is the pioneer in impact investing and the global leader in sustainability. We have transformed the financial system so that women, the environment, and underserved communities are finally given a value and a voice in the global market. Over the past decade, we have built the world’s largest crowdfunding platform for impact investing (Impact Partners), created innovative financial products such as the Women’s Livelihood Bond and the Women’s Catalyst Fund, operated award-winning enterprise technical assistance programs such as IIX ACTS, and established an Impact Institute and Research & Advisory to build the sustainable investing market. To date, our work has spanned 53 countries, unlocked US$215 million of private-sector capital, and positively impacted over 87 million direct and household lives, and avoided over 1.2 million tons of carbon. The foundation of IIX’s work is IIX Values, the world’s first impact verification solution for every organization, which effectively measures the social and environmental impact of an investment and gives value to the voices of the underserved. IIX has received numerous awards for its work including the Oslo Business for Peace Award, the ‘Nobel Prize for Business.’
For more information about IIX, please visit www.iixglobal.com.
How to apply
- Please submit a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- A test on technical knowledge will also be required if you are shortlisted.
- Qualified candidates will be considered and contacted by a member of the IIX team for interviews and to discuss your skills, interest, and experiences. IIX is an equal opportunity employer.
Please quote in application: Innovative Finance Manager/VP, IIX via Pro Bono Australia.