About the role
An opportunity has arisen in our Echuca office for a Senior Lawyer or Lawyer to provide and oversee high quality legal advice and representation, and non-legal support. This position can be based part time in the Bendigo office and part time in the Echuca office, to service clients in Echuca and Shepparton.
The Senior Lawyer or Lawyer will deliver high quality legal advice and representation in family violence, family law and victims of crime matters while also managing a significant child protection case load. You will also work closely with a Paralegal Support Worker to support clients to access a variety of legal, social, psychological, cultural, health, financial and other support services to address their needs.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is dedicated to the prevention of family violence
- Ensures clients receive an excellent level of service
- Is an advocate for justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Has at least 5 years of post-admission experience (related to family law/violence). Candidates with less than 5 years post admission experience will be considered.
- Is passionate about working to build regional stakeholder relationships
- Contributes to service development and improvement
- Is able to mentor and guide staff.
Ability to effectively communicate and work with the local Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities and knowledge of social justice issues in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities is preferred.
Djirra is committed to Child Safety and as part of Djirra’s screening requirements all staff must have (or are able to obtain) a Working With Childrens Check and a National Police Check. An International Police Check may also be required. You must also demonstrate an understanding of Child Safety.
- Ongoing (subject to funding) position
- Generous salary packaging options available
- Extra days off between Christmas and New Year
- Employee Assistance Program with supportive, confidential counselling for personal and work concerns
About the organisation
Djirra supports Aboriginal women's journey to safety and wellbeing, and provides legal and practical supports to Aboriginal people experiencing family violence across Victoria. Djirra is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation with a rich history, and we are growing our services across regional Victoria.
How to apply
To find out more about the position or about Djirra and how to apply, refer to our Get Involved page on our website: https://djirra.org.au/
Only applications received via the website will be considered. Applications must include a CV and covering letter and all applicants must answer the questions at the bottom of the application form.
If you would like to know more about the role or about the work we do, please call Teresa Kyprianou, Human Resources Advisor on 9244 3333 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for this position will close as soon as a suitable candidate is sourced, therefore we encourage your application as soon as possible.
Please quote in application: Senior Lawyer/Lawyer - Echuca and/or Bendigo via Pro Bono Australia.