About the role
- Join a supportive, multidisciplinary team within a leader in youth mental health
- Lead a small team and create innovative virtual reality and virtual world solutions to advance the treatment of and make a real difference to young people
- Career development and growth opportunities in a growing organisation
- Part time (0.8 FTE), 12 months fixed term contract
- Access to generous NFP salary packaging and flexible work/life balance arrangements
The Senior VR Developer will supervise a small but growing team of junior developer staff, and work alongside a broader project team of software developers, psychologists, psychiatrists and content creators (including young people who have personal lived experience of mental ill health), to support development of new VR and Virtual World interventions to support youth mental health treatment. The main responsibility will be producing high quality VR prototype applications, which will involve various aspects of VR environment/game’s creation from concept to finished product including coding, programming, audio, design, UX/UI, production and visual arts.
This role will be based at Orygen Digital’s new Virtual Reality and Technology Innovations Space, a cutting-edge VR development and testing lab and clinic based at Orygen, Parkville.
If you have a passion for the field of youth mental health and want to make a real difference to the lives of young people and their families and carers and share Orygen’s values of respect, accountability, teamwork, excellence and innovation, then we would love you to apply for the Senior VR Developer role!
The role & your impact
The Senior VR Developer will oversee, manage and implement projects from conception to delivery while working in an interdisciplinary team under direction from the project leads. You will be an experienced VR developer and passionate about learning new tools and techniques, and work within an interdisciplinary team to create and implement innovative VR and gaming solutions on a relatively small budget, ultimately in pursuit of helping young people with mental ill health.
This role is expected to involve supervision of a small but growing team of junior developer staff, and to show initiative and a sense of responsibility for the effective operation of the Orygen Digital’s team. Note that you will be required to work flexibly in a small team across a range of tasks that primarily involve VR development and programming, however may involve broader activities such as UX testing and design. You will have to work creatively with the team to identify innovative solutions to developing MVP prototypes to meet project requirements. We are seeking someone who is creative and passionate about using their skills and expertise to create innovative applications of virtual reality for advancing treatment of mental health in youth.
Depending on your skills and experience, a salary of $75,000 – $85,000 p.a. (pro-rata) is offered plus superannuation, access to generous NFP salary packaging, flexible work/life balance benefits, well regarded supervision and a supportive team, career growth and development opportunities, purposeful work that makes a real difference to lives of young people and their families and carers and career opportunities within an organisation that is the leader in youth mental health.
The key selection criteria that must be met to be successful include:
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Game Design or related technical field.
- 2+ years professional experience VR development/3D game production in Unity and similar software
- Ability to create and maintain milestones, timelines, deadlines, and efficient VR and game development processes to ensure tasks are completed on schedule and within budget
- Proficiency with C++ and/or C# or .net programming
- Understanding a computing data structure (e.g. linked list, tree, array etc.) and game software development and agile development.
- Experience working with Unity3D or Unreal Engine; source control software (e.g. git, DevOps); UX principles and product management processes
- Ability to implement a light-weight user interface independently without assistance.
About the organisation
The why behind what we do is important. We believe that all young people deserve to grow into adulthood with optimal mental health. Everything we do is focused on this outcome. Orygen Digital, the digital mental health division of Orygen, designs, delivers and evaluates evidenced-based digital services for youth mental health, including Moderated Online Social Therapy (MOST), virtual reality and just-in-time mobile interventions.
How to apply
Please refer to the position description and submit a cover letter addressing why you think you are a good fit for this role and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line ‘Senior Virtual Reality Developer’ followed by your ‘full name’.
Closing date: Tuesday 9 March 2021
You are encouraged to submit your application as soon as possible. Orygen may close the advertisement before the closing date.
Orygen is dedicated to gender equality, diversity and inclusivity. We strive to continue to build a culturally safe workplace where our values underpin the way we work and our strategic commitment to partner with First Nations people of Australia, young people and their families, LGBTIQA+ people and CALD people. We strongly encourage applications from the First Nations people.
Please quote in application: Senior virtual reality developer via Pro Bono Australia.