About the role
- Full time permanent position
- Based in Bankstown, working 35 hours per week
- Make a difference in the lives of children & young people
Therapeutic Life Story Work (TLSW) enables all children and young people who have experienced trauma to reflect on their past, develop compassion for themselves and move on to achieve their full potential.
This is a newly created role within our program at SSI, and we are looking to use and deliver Therapeutic Life Story Work (TLSW) and other interventions as a framework to effectively guide children, young people and families through this process. The purpose of this role is to increase program capacity to respond to the psycho- social needs of children and young people arising from their experiences with and removal from birth families.
This role will also have a function in the delivering of training to staff and carers to increase understanding, knowledge and skills in carrying out meaningful Life Story Work with children and families in OOHC and other interventions including Therapeutic Crisis Intervention for Families. The aim of this role is to increase safety, placement stability and permanency of children and young people in OOHC.
The successful candidate will ideally be an experienced social worker, case worker or case manager with the following skills & experience:
- Tertiary Education in social work, early childhood, psychology or related discipline;
- A completed Diploma of TLSW or working toward completing it;
- Knowledge of child development, protection and/or experience in working with OOHC;
- Experience and confidence in coaching, guiding and delivering training to staff and others across the program with TLSW strategies and positive outcomes;
- Exceptional interpersonal, facilitation and solid relationship building skills and an ability to create strong working relationships with different stakeholders, both internal and external;
- Well-developed analytical and organisational skills coupled with excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Previous experience working with culturally & linguistically diverse communities;
- Current NSW driver’s licence.
The role has a strong focus on working with a family cases with complex needs to deliver full TLSW intervention for children, young people or their carer’s. It is an important role and we are looking for someone passionate about culturally responsive practices that improve outcomes for children and families and committed to high quality work.
If you have these qualities and experience in out-of-home care we want to hear from you!
What we offer at SSI
- Salary packaging options – receive up to $15,900 of your salary tax-free meaning more take home pay!
- Role is based in Bankstown (currently working from home, returning 1 Mar 2021);
- Opportunity to work a 9-day fortnight;
- Flexible working arrangements and work/life balance;
- Working alongside collaborative and outcome focused team members all wanting to make a difference in our communities
About the organisation
SSI is a community organisation and social business that supports newcomers and other Australians to achieve their full potential. We work with children and young people as well as people with refugee and asylum-seeking background, culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities, Aboriginal communities, people with disability and more to build capacity and enable them to overcome inequality.
About the Multicultural Child and Family Program (MCFP)
SSI delivers a specialist culturally responsive permanency support program in Sydney with a satellite service in Newcastle and in Victoria. The Program uses a culturally responsive practice model to delivery family preservation, multicultural foster care, restoration and other out-of-home care services specialising in working with children, young people and families from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds. The p rogram is committed to keeping children and young people safe, in stable homes, connected to family, community and culture.
How to apply
Please ensure a detailed cover letter and your resume is attached to your application.
All employees will undergo a National Police Clearance and a Working with Children Check as a condition of employment.
SSI is a Disability Confident Recruiter and will provide reasonable adjustments in our recruitment processes and in the workplace.
If you require a reasonable adjustment please email email@example.com or call Vimla Khooblall on 02 8799 6700.
Please quote in application: Therapeutic Life Story Work Coordinator via Pro Bono Australia.