About the role
We have 1 permanent Adult and Family Counsellor Advocate full time position available in our Dandenong office.
About the role
The Adults and Family Team is looking for a post-graduate or equivalent professional with well-developed clinical and counselling skills, who can work with Refugee and Asylum Seeker—Adults and their families providing support to individuals in their home, community, onsite at Foundation House. Experience in assessment, counselling and advocacy is essential for the role. A large proportion of client work occurs off site and on an outreach basis and some travel to other Foundation House sites and venues will also be required.
- Degree qualified as a psychologist, social worker, and counsellor or relevant university degree similar.
- Ability to demonstrate your experience providing therapeutic interventions, advocacy, and risk assessment.
- Demonstrated understanding of trauma informed practice models in working with adults, children, and families with refugee trauma background families.
- Experience in a range of approaches in supporting complex cases such as mental health, family violence, substance abuse issues.
This role is well suited to candidates who are organised, client-focused and who can effectively manage tasks and deadlines while maintaining a high degree of self-awareness and professionalism. You will also demonstrate a positive, creative, and collaborative approach to the delivery of these vital services. Previous experience in working or with Refugees and Asylum Seekers will be highly regarded.
Key Selection Criteria
- Counselling skills for complex trauma including knowledge of a range of suitable interventions, using a trauma informed and systems-based framework.
- Experience in advocating on behalf of refugees, asylum seekers, or other vulnerable clients regarding a range of issues related to health, welfare, legal and government.
- Experience in working with interpreters
- Expert knowledge in trauma and its psychosocial impact on individuals, families, and communities.
- Preparation of reports for medical and allied health professionals, other services and government bodies, and protection visa applications where required.
- Effective time management, excellent record keeping and client documentation completion
Salary and Benefits
Remuneration is based on our Enterprise Agreement 2014 up to $94,433 gross per annum pro rata. Benefits include generous salary packaging, leave loading, a range of flexible working options and a highly supportive team environment.
VFST is an equal opportunity employer.
VFST promotes the safety and well-being of children.
Conditional employment requirements:
- Satisfactory police check
- Working with Children Check
- Proof of the right to work and live in Australia.
About the organisation
The Victorian Foundation for Survivors of Torture Inc. (also known as Foundation House) provides services to advance the health, wellbeing, and human rights of people of refugee backgrounds in Victoria who have experienced torture or other traumatic events in their country of origin or while fleeing those countries.
The organisation was established in Melbourne in 1987 and is non-denominational, politically neutral, and non-aligned. Foundation House is a state-wide agency offering services in metropolitan, regional and rural areas, with head office based in Brunswick. We have approximately 200 staff with metropolitan regional offices in Dallas, Sunshine, Dandenong, and Ringwood.
How to apply
Applications for this position close 5:00pm Thursday 13 May 2021
Applicants must submit:
- Current resume.
- Cover Letter responding to the Key Selection Criteria above
Please ensure you submit your KSC as part of your cover letter as you can only upload 2 documents.
For any enquiries regarding this position please contact Jackie Hoggart, Team Leader Adult and Family on 9389 8888
Please quote in application: Adult and Family Counsellor via Pro Bono Australia.