About the role
This is your opportunity to step into a leadership position with a national peak body advocating on behalf of member state and territories. The successful candidate will be walking into a steady ship, with secure funding, and as such, this is a great opportunity to lead the organisation through the next phase of growth.
- Strong funding and grants secured
- Lead a small, passionate and engaged team
- Refresh the strategic plan
- See and feel the results of your work on a national level
The CEO will engage and advocate regularly with federal government, policy makers, researchers, and other key stakeholders to enable growth and continue to secure ongoing support for critical programs and initiatives.
This is a hands-on role: you’ll provide a connection to the community, be a supportive and empathetic leader of your team whilst working on high level strategy and policy.
- Manage and oversee multiple Australian Government funded projects
- Engage in national advocacy activities that address key issues
- Develop and improve public education and awareness on issues that effect people who use drugs
- Travel interstate to develop relationships with member organisations and other key stakeholders (1-2 trips per month)
Your Background and Experience
First and foremost, lived experience will be highly valued in a CEO going into this position. AIVL is led, staffed, and governed by peers and members of the drug using community. You’ll work together to advocate for AIVL’s vision to empower communities to achieve equal health and human rights of people who use drugs.
You will also be an excellent people leader with a sensitive, supportive, and empathetic approach. You will have an inclusive approach to treatment and see illicit drug use as a health and social issue – not a criminal justice problem. You will likely have a background and qualifications in health, social issues, communication, or related areas. This is your opportunity to move from a GM or Deputy position into a CEO role.
In addition, you will have:
- A strong track record of experience of leadership, team management and working with a diverse range of stakeholders
- You’ll have strong communication skills with the ability to influence senior government officials and political figures
- A strong understanding of the drug using community and the challenges faced by individuals and groups
- Experience of working in the not-for-profit sector and federated organisations would be advantage
Salary / Rate
- $125K – $150K + Super + Full PBI + Phone
- Flexible working environment
- Permanent position
About the organisation
Australian Injecting and Illicit Drug Users League (AIVL) is the Australian national peak organisation representing state and territory peer-based drug user organisations, and advocate for issues of national relevance for people with lived experience of drug use. AIVL’s purpose is to advance the health of people who use/have used illicit drugs.
AIVL is recruiting a full time Chief Executive Officer, to be based in its national office in Canberra.
How to apply
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link.
As part of your application please submit a one-page cover letter addressing your suitability for the role. Your resume and cover letter are requested in Word version.
Applications close as of midnight Sunday 16th May. A candidate pack is available and can be requested by calling the HorizonOne office on 02 6108 4878.
Should you wish to have a confidential discussion about the role please call Andy Batstone on 02 6108 4878 quoting ref no. 13765.
Please quote in application: Chief Executive Officer | AIVL via Pro Bono Australia.