About the role
A day in the life
The person in this role will be responsible for adding meaningful value to the MSF movement, MSF operations and directing all communications & engagement activities within Australia and New Zealand. The position supervises the Content Production & Media Manager, Digital and Community Engagement Manager & the Head of Fundraising. The Director oversees internal communications and is responsible for developing a clear and compelling narrative for MSF Australia and New Zealand and shifting from a broadcast to a more engagement approach with our audiences.
Above all, this role will be responsible for responding to a changing environment, shifting focus, and leading and inspiring a large and successful team through a period of change.
Key responsibilities and areas of expertise required for this role:
- Lead by example. In MSF-A Australia, the following five values form the foundations of our culture: Transparency, Respect, Understanding of Diversity, Stepping In and CollaboraTion. As a leader, your behaviours and actions are expected to consistently reinforce these values
- Deliver the three-year Strategic Plan, relative to Communications & Fundraising
- Maintain accountability for investment in future looking strategies and innovation in the digital space and beyond
- Lead integrated proactive internal and external communication that support Médecins Sans Frontières operational needs
What makes this moment special for this role?
MSF-A is making a shift. We are moving from a broadcast approach to communication to an engagement strategy. As such, we are putting responsibility for internal and external audiences under the umbrella of one lead role – the Director of Engagement. We are shifting our culture to be more proactive in innovation, and accountable to our mission and one another. We are embedding diversity, equity and inclusion in our strategies and activities, and we are looking for a leader to inspire our very talented and dedicated team to reach their strategic goals and support one another along the way.
You lead by example, you inspire, while sensitively managing numerous stakeholders through a period of change.
You communicate openly and honestly with your team and stakeholders to support an agile working environment.
You are not afraid of innovation and create a culture where taking risks makes such innovation possible.
- A chance to join a major medical humanitarian international independent organisation
- A chance to make a difference
- A chance to be part of exciting change
- Work /Life Balance – working remotely 3 days of the week
- Days off for birthdays, self-development & Volunteering
- Life & Salary Continuance Insurance
We’re looking for….
- Senior experience in managing large teams and leading change with strong HR values
- Experience in developing and managing communications, marketing, fundraising and brand strategies
- High level financial analysis i.e. ROI
- High level political analysis, research and writing skills
- Senior experience in media management and willingness to act as a spokesperson on complex and challenging medical humanitarian issues
- Experience in marketing, journalism, communications, or public relations
- Excellent understanding of best practice in digital engagement and marketing
- Recent experience and knowledge of development, implementation and management of digital strategy and tools
- Track record of data-led decision making
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Commitment to aims and values of MSF
- The right to work in Australia
About the organisation
Médecins Sans Frontières Australia (MSF-A) is a major independent international medical humanitarian non-profit organisation in Australia and the region. Globally, it is a key contributor to the international MSF movement, whose core mission is to deliver medical aid to people facing emergencies, natural disasters, conflict, and exclusion from healthcare. Established in 1995, MSF-A is one of 24 associations in the MSF movement and has grown significantly in recent years, both in terms of audience reach and income generation. MSF-A’s analysis and advocacy around key humanitarian crises which affect the patients we treat and communities we work with, our efforts to influence the discussion around humanitarian aid, and our work to generate income and support for our medical humanitarian programs are all drivers of our strategy today and into the future.
What makes this moment special for this role? MSF-A is making a shift. We are moving from a broadcast approach to communication to an engagement strategy. As such, we are putting responsibility for internal and external audiences under the umbrella of one new lead role – the Director of Engagement. We are shifting our culture to be more proactive in innovation, and accountable to our medical humanitarian mission, and one another. We are embedding diversity, equity and inclusion in our strategies and activities, and we are looking for a leader to inspire our very talented and dedicated team to reach its strategic goals and support one another along the way.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Director of Engagement via Pro Bono Australia.