About the role
The Environmental Defenders Office (EDO) runs bold and ground-breaking environmental cases across Australia and the Pacific to protect peoples, nature and our climate. The EDO gives everyday people access to the justice system and empowers communities to find legal remedies.
EDO lawyers have been at the forefront of the biggest environmental legal battles, from the Adani mine to protecting whales in the Antarctic. In the Pacific the EDO works with partners to share knowledge and experience, enabling two-way learnings and legal solutions.
In 2020 the EDO merged the pre-existing eight EDO state offices and is now an organisation of almost one hundred staff.
Reporting to the director of operations, this role will work closely with the CEO and leadership team in determining the ongoing culture of the EDO. Having been through a period of significant transformation and growth, the EDO is committed to creating a future where their people will thrive.
Specifically you will:
- Manage and lead staff development and performance processes
- Ensure compliance with employment conditions and relevant legislation
- Advise senior management on all employment relations matters
- Oversee D&I, Rem & Benefits, WHS, L&D and recruitment
You will be a well-rounded P&C generalist with the capacity to drive strategy, but also be prepared to be hands on. You will have a particular interest in the areas of diversity and inclusion, emerging technologies, and developing trends.
Additionally will be able to demonstrate:
- Formal qualifications in human resources and knowledge of contemporary P&C practice
- Excellent attention to detail, clear communication skills and the capacity to make effective decisions
- The ability to influence, negotiate, counsel and mediate at all levels of an organisation
- Experience managing significant transformation and change
If making an important contribution to protecting peoples, nature and our climate is meaningful to you, then please submit your CV along with a cover letter addressing the skills required section above and tell us why you think you would be right for the EDO.
The EDO is a diverse and inclusive workplace and recognises that a key part of achieving environmental justice in Australia is the central place of First Nations and Indigenous Peoples. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are particularly encouraged to apply.
About the organisation
How to apply
Please quote in application: People & Culture Manager via Pro Bono Australia.