About the role
Position: Therapeutic Counsellor
Location: Collingwood, Victoria, Australia
Industry: Not for Profit and Charities
About the role
Working with a team in Collingwood this role will encompass several different components, ranging from providing intake, triage and assessment, individual counselling sessions to facilitating group therapy with those from a Cultural and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) migrant or refugee background. The role may also include providing community engagement and information sessions around the harms of gambling.
The clients that this role will be working are from all cultural and ethnic groups whose mental health and socio-economic stability is compromised as a result of pathological gambling compounded by trauma, poverty, chronic stress, and other challenges posed by the process of migrating.
Due to the changing, adaptable and evolving nature of providing therapeutic care to those of a CALD background, SSI is open to counsellors utilising various evidence informed treatment interventions and techniques in session, with a foundation of client-led, strengths based therapeutic care. External Clinical supervision and onsite field supervision will be required for successful candidates whilst providing therapeutic care in order to ensure ethical best practice and duty of care for clients.
Additional responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Provide evidence based culturally responsive clinical services including assessment, case consultation, intervention, therapeutic care, liaison and review as part of a multidisciplinary team for those within the Gambling Harm Prevention program;
- Facilitate activities and or provide support Group Therapy sessions (such as Art Therapy, 12 Step Program) within the CALD community:
- Facilitate community engagement and information sessions around the harms of problem and those affected by gambling and assist with referrals where appropriate.
The successful candidate will ideally have the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- Tertiary qualification in psychology/social work or related disciplines;
- Experience in a therapeutic role working with CALD communities;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the impacts of problem gambling, addictive behaviours or mental health upon individuals and the wider community;
- Proven clinical skills and experience at delivering evidence-based approaches
- Excellent communications skills both written and verbal;
- A current and valid VIC Driver’s Licence
- Ability to speak and understanding at least one community language fluently, would be highly regarded.
We are looking for someone who can work well with people and build relationships easily driven from a positive mindset and can-do spirit. You will be very hands-on with an ability to be flexible and capable of working effectively & autonomously in a fast-paced team environment.
About our Benefits
- Access to in-house training and learning opportunities for professional development and growth;
- Access to our inhouse wellbeing programs;
- Working alongside professional and dedicated team members all wanting to make a difference in our communities.
About the organisation
Settlement Services International (SSI Group) is a community-based organisation and social business that supports newcomers and Australians to achieve their full potential. Taking an integrated approach how everyone can thrive within the community in which they live and the wider Australian society, we support children, young people and families; people living with disability; and asylum seekers, refugees and migrants. Our programs include facilitating employment, multicultural foster care, creating community engagement, advocacy, and influencing government and international affairs and provide though leadership within our sector nationally and globally.
How to apply
At SSI we have a zero tolerance for child abuse and is committed to creating and maintaining a child safe organisation where protecting children and preventing and responding to child abuse is embedded in the everyday thinking and practice of all employees, contractors and volunteers. All employees will undergo a National Police Clearance and a Working with Children Check as a condition of employment.
We encourage candidates to provide a cover letter along with your resume, by submitting online. Should you be successful for the first round of shortlist, one of our Talent Acquisition Specialist will guide you through our process and next steps.
SSI will provide reasonable adjustments in our recruitment processes and in the workplace. If you require a reasonable adjustment, or want to update your preferred method of communication, please email email@example.com o r call (contact person) on (contact number)
Please quote in application: Therapeutic Counsellor via Pro Bono Australia.