About the role
When scientists communicate effectively, science thrives. We are a small company doing great things and we’d like to shout about it. This role will translate complicated science for the public, allowing Earthwatch discoveries become digestible information which impacts everyday lives. We aim to elevate our visibility through the creation and delivery of growth initiatives, helping make Earthwatch become an organisation well known for the amazing things it does.
- Impact reporting
- Visual communications, science communications and content creation
- Develop and implement growth initiatives (to enhance brand awareness and improve engagement, motivation and activation across our organisation)
- Digital media
- Brand management
- Other duties
- Be an Australian citizen or hold a valid work visa for full-time work in Australia
- Current Working with Children Check or willingness to obtain
- Degree from recognised tertiary institution in a relevant field (science communication, digital marketing or similar)
- Proven experience in science communications for a variety of audiences
- Proven ability to write publications i.e. editorials, e-news, online content and reports
- Experience in creating a marketing plan/calendar and content
- Ability to measure and report on the performance of marketing campaigns
- Proficiency in social media for business (including paid advertising)
- Knowledge of SEO
- Demonstrated proficiency in software packages including Word, Excel, Adobe Creative Cloud and CRMs
- Confidence in web and app technology
- Experience in brand management and tone of voice
- Ability to network and build relationships with various types of stakeholders
- Strong organisational skills
- Ability to lead and engage (this position has one part-time, direct report)
- Experience in financial/budget management
- Experience in data management
- Knowledge of Communigator or similar
Key selection criteria
- Demonstrated experience in science communications
- Confident in social media for business
- Experience in creating marketing and/or communications plans and content
- The ability to work with various stakeholders, including corporates and volunteers
- A collaborative team member, who easily builds rapport and can contribute to a positive work culture
About the organisation
Earthwatch Institute is a leading global environmental not for profit organisation, committed to conserving the diversity and integrity of life on Earth to meet the needs of current and future generations.
Founded in 1971, and with five offices around the globe, we aim to empower people to save the natural world. We do this by engaging the community directly in environmental and sustainability experiences through Work (corporate programs), Life (student and teacher programs) and Play (public expeditions). This hands on experience bridges the gap between science and the community, creating an informed society that can translate scientific knowledge into sustainable action.
Earthwatch Institute is the largest citizen science business in Australia. We focus our research on the most critical issues facing our planet (climate change, ocean health, restoring our iconic landscape and protecting our unique wildlife), and have supported thousands of research expeditions across the globe.
We are a small, yet powerful organisation united in the following values:
Responsibility: The wellbeing of our staff, researchers, volunteers and the environments in which we work is at the core of our operations
Integrity: We act at all times in good faith and with exemplary honesty and transparency
Professionalism: All of our actions demonstrate our commitment to the highest standards of professionalism and service
Inspiration: We are inspired by our work and we seek to inspire others with experiences and knowledge that enable them to take action
Inclusion: We are greater than the sum of our parts; we collaborate with others and bring together diverse backgrounds with dignity, respect and fairness
What we offer
MODE OF EMPLOYMENT: 4 days per week. 1 year fixed term contract. (Potential to increase to full-time/Permanent)
SALARY: As agreed, plus 9.5% superannuation (with future increases aligned with government schedules) and 20 days’ annual leave (pro-rata)
Supportive small team environment
Green office space in Carlton
Flexible work arrangements
Employee Assistance Program
Salary Packaging option
Professional Development with upskilling support
Experience in not-for profit sector
This is new role in a small company, so it should be noted that this outline cannot be representative of the full tasks list to be undertaken by the successful applicant. It is recognised that the duties of all roles can be subject to change from time to time. Alterations to duties and responsibilities within the scope of the role should be expected.
Earthwatch Australian is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, all genders, young people, LGBTQI people and people with a disability are encouraged to apply. Applicants must have the right to live and work in Australia to be considered for this job.
Love the sound of this opportunity, but can’t check 100% of the boxes, get in touch! Send your queries to email@example.com or call us on (03) 9016 7590.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Impact & Communications Officer via Pro Bono Australia.