About the role
This role, along with its direct report, provides general administrative support spanning Finance, HR, IT, and Legal functions. In partnership with each function’s specialist lead, this role operates with a high level of self-direction and initiative in managing organisational processes and core administrative functions, and leading special projects as needed.
Keeping the organisation running smoothly, providing operational support to the team and the Board, liaising with our partners and suppliers and solving all manner of different problems. Our organisation is growing and the role will evolve as the needs of the team change. As the role is part of a close knit operations team, there is scope to really make the role your own and to leave your mark on the organisation.
- Operations support: support compliance and good governance requirements; oversee the implementation of organisational policies
- Accounts administration: assist with end of month reconciliation requirements; liaise with our outsourced Finance team to keep related information up-to-date; assist staff with use of systems such as Xero-Me and ReceiptBank
- Office management and related work-from-home team support
- Manage one direct report (Program & Operations Associate)
Required skills and experience
- At least 5 years’ experience working in a similar operational role
- Comfortable dealing with uncertainty and ambiguity and recognising when to drive for clarification
- Willingness to learn and ability to quickly develop new skills and tackle new areas of responsibility
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving capability (initiative, tenacity, analytical skills)
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Able to manage multiple demands and stay calm under pressure
- Demonstrated track record of developing and implementing systems and processes in line with organizational priorities.
- Excellent record of creating and implementing easy, streamlined people-centered processes that enable our staff to stay focused on the mission.
- Project manage and use own judgement to prioritise workload
- Emotionally resilient: able to champion change and achieve results in a dynamic, dispersed environment
- A passion for action on climate change and a commitment to social justice;
- You must have full working rights for Australia.
If you meet some but not all of the criteria for this position, are unsure, but you’re keen on the role – please get in touch. We value and recognise experience that has been unpaid, from the grassroots or is lived experience.
About the organisation
Driven by a passion to solve the climate crisis, The Sunrise Project is a team of experienced change-makers, researchers and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the global transition beyond fossil fuels. With programs and staff in Australia, and affiliated programs and staff in Europe, and the US, we have developed a unique model of grant making and campaigning that supports networks of organisations to drive powerful change towards our mission.
We have a dynamic and nimble organisational culture and we’re serious about supporting our people to thrive. We move fast and lean into the urgency of the climate challenge.
We believe that a diversity of experiences and perspectives will help us build stronger strategies, teams and movements. We strongly encourage First Nations people, people of colour, people living outside of cities, and people living with a disability to apply. We are continually working on becoming a better workplace for everyone. You can read our commitment to this work here.
You are a seriously well-organised person who brings order to chaos, enjoys solving problems, loves making people’s lives easy and has an eagle eye for detail. You are passionate about supporting a team of campaigners aiming to solve the climate crisis. The role will evolve as our organisation grows and will suit someone who is keen to grow and develop their skills.
You’re flexible, love variety and are happy operating at any level. You thrive on being the “go to” person for queries about how to get things done and you’re adept at sharing information and coaching others. You appreciate the big picture of our mission and balance that with a high level of attention to detail and a collaborative mind-set to prioritise your work.
How Sunrise supports its staff:
The Sunrise Project is committed to creating a workplace that supports our staff to do their best work and develop professionally. We have the following in place to help us achieve that:
- Superannuation contribution of 12.5%
- Four weeks annual leave with leave loading of 17.5%
- Birthday leave (if it’s your birthday, you get a day off)
- Cultural leave
- 12 weeks parental leave after 12 months of service
- Commitment to supporting to your professional development
- Access to Employee Assistance Program
- Coaching and management support with regular 1:1 meetings
- Performance reviews and feedback to support you and the team to reflect and grow
- A co-developed initial 3 month work plan to help you hit the ground running and have clarity on your role and responsibilities.
- Flexible work policy
How to apply
Please apply via our Beapplied platform using this link
If you would like to apply using other methods than those above – eg. via a video recording etc – please get in touch with email@example.com and we can arrange it.
Please quote in application: Operations Manager via Pro Bono Australia.