About the role
“Full citizenship for all people living with a mental illness in Australian society”
About the Role
- Part Time 0.5 FTE role available
- CSD Level 2 from $63,670 – $68,264 p.a (pro rata), plus super; depending on skills and experience
- Maximum Term Contract until 30 June 2022
- Based in Mill Park
YFlex (Youth Severe Mental Health Service) is for young people aged 12-25 with, or at risk of, severe mental illness who live in/have links to the East Melbourne PHN catchment areas of Whittlesea and including parts of Mitchell and Murrindindi Shires. Priority access will be given to those who are facing significant barriers to accessing mental health services, are geographically isolated, or have lack of service options, and are from diverse backgrounds.
Peer Support Workers (PSW) are integral members of the team and draw on their lived experience of recovery from mental illness, to instil confidence and hope in others about the journey of recovery.
Neami National’s work with consumers occurs within their own community of friends, family and neighbourhood. You will work closely with clinical case managers and other community partner organisations to deliver the best possible comprehensive service to consumers. Peer Support Workers at Neami National function within a collaborative team approach and are supported by regular opportunities to reflect upon their practice and access comprehensive training and development.
- Engage with young people and develop trusting and professional relationships
- Referral and linkage to relevant support services
- Secondary Consultation to team members from a peer perspective
- Support young people experiencing mental health issues from a lived experience perspective
- Collect, collate and maintain data on consumer contact
What will you bring to the role?
- A lived experience of mental health issues, including the experience of using mental health services
- An experience of recovery from mental illness. The peer worker role requires a level of wellness in order to role model recovery to young people accessing the service
- A clear ability to work within and to develop strong collaborative relationships
- Extensive experience and the ability to engage consumers and carers in a positive manner
- The ability to set and maintain clear professional boundaries
- A commitment to consumers’ rights and to consumers’ active participation in planning their service
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of the recovery model
- Computer skills
- Current Working with Children Check
- Australian Working Rights
- Drivers licence
- Police check (refer to PD) – disclosable outcomes considered
- A Disability Worker Exclusion Scheme (DWES) Check will be undertaken prior to commencement
- Diverse and inclusive organisation
- Induction and extensive Learning and Development Program
- Regular Practice Development sessions and coaching with your supervisor
- Salary Packaging providing tax benefits available for living and entertainment expenses
- Excellent conditions including paid parental leave, a monthly accrued day off (if full time), generous long service leave, wellness and gratis leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
About the organisation
Neami National is a community mental health service supporting people living with mental illness to improve their health, live independently and pursue a life based on their own strengths, values and goals.
In our most recent Staff Engagement Survey, 89% of our Staff recommend Neami as a great place to work, with 87% of staff proud to say they work for Neami.
We acknowledge Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples and communities as the Traditional Custodians of the land we work on and pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging. We recognise that their sovereignty was never ceded. Neami National is committed to cultivating inclusive environments for staff, consumers and carers. We celebrate, value and include people of all backgrounds, genders, sexualities, cultures, bodies and abilities. We are an environmentally conscious organisation.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Peer Support Worker - YFlex via Pro Bono Australia.