About the role
The Disability Trust is interested in recruiting to its Board, a director with lived experience as a family member or carer of a person with a disability. A significant part of this appointment would be the ability to act as a voice for families of participants at a Board level and a commitment to supporting the input of families and carers into planning our organisation’s future. The Trust recognises the unique insights that someone with a lived experience as a family member or carer will have into how services can best respond to the needs of people with significant disabilities. We are also committed to supporting systemic advocacy for social change and inclusion.
- Parent or family member of a person with a disability.
- Extensive prior involvement in systemic advocacy within the disability sector.
- Commitment to ensuring that the voice of carer advocates is heard in shaping our organisation moving forward.
- Good understanding of the current service system for people with disabilities and ability to articulate issues and challenges in the current environment.
- Good understanding of disability policy and government directions.
- Good understanding of corporate governance.
- Ability to work with a diverse Board in a cooperative and collegiate manner.
- Engagement with The Disability Trust’s purpose and values.
- Demonstrated support for positive organisational culture.
- Prior involvement on Boards in the Not for Profit sector.
- Strategic thinking and planning from a governance perspective.
- Knowledge of NDIS and related systems and processes.
- Good understanding of risk management and compliance frameworks.
- Good understanding of financial management from a governance perspective.
About the organisation
The Disability Trust was established in 1974 by people with disabilities and their families. The connection to consumer and family voice remains important to our values and vision today. The Disability Trust’s bold mission is to “Create an inclusive world built on trust, respect and equality, where people with a disability live the life they choose.”
The Disability Trust is a dynamic and growing disability service provider. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest standards of care and support to people with a disability and their families. The Trust currently offers a range of NDIS services and commonwealth funded employment programs across NSW, ACT, Victoria and Queensland. For further information on The Disability Trust and for copies of our Year in Review Reports go to www.disabilitytrust.org.au
How to apply
Applications should be in writing and address the above criteria. Please lodge with our Company Secretary at Carol.Armstrong@disabilitytrust.org.au
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview with the Board’s Governance Committee.
Please quote in application: Board Opportunity via Pro Bono Australia.