About the role
As a disability advocacy organisation we have been funded to support people across NSW engaging with the Disability Royal Commission on their inquiry into the violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation of people with disability. The Advocacy Engagement Officer-DRC will be driving this engagement. This position will sit within our Advocacy and Leadership Development team.
We are seeking a passionate person with a strong shared values base and a commitment to working with families. This is a part time role, fixed term contract to 30 June 2022.
What you will be doing
- Strategically driving the reach of people with disability and families, and supporting them to engage with the Disability Royal Commission
- Disseminating information pertaining to the Commission through all our communication channels
- Developing user friendly content for people with disability and families
- Support families to tell the stories of what has occurred for their family member with disability
- Facilitating information sessions and workshops.
Essential Criteria (applications must address each Essential Criteria)
- Passionate about working towards the full inclusion of people with disability
- Committed to seeing the rights and interests of people with disability realised
- Demonstrated understanding of the barriers and issues that people with disability face
- Experience in supporting people with disability and families in their advocacy efforts
- Experience in developing workshop content or willingness to learn
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Experience with facilitating and presenting to groups
- Demonstrated research skills
- Experience with developing resources and fact sheets
- Suitable knowledge & experience in the use of Microsoft Office and online technology or willingness to learn the latter
- Proven networking skills
- Ability to travel across NSW.
- Lived experience of disability
- Exposure to Social Role Valorisation
- Previous involvement with a Royal Commission an advantage.
Based: Hornsby Hours: 20 per week Commencement: Immediately Salary: Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services (SCHADS) Industry Award 2010, Level 4 – 5 (depending on experience)
Salary Packaging opportunities on request
About the organisation
Family Advocacy is a state-wide, not for proﬁt disability advocacy organisation that works with families to promote and defend the rights and interests of people with disability. This is achieved by strengthening the advocacy role and the inﬂuence of families across NSW so that they can speak out with, or on behalf of their own family member with disability.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Advocacy Engagement Officer Disability Royal Commission (DRC) via Pro Bono Australia.