About the role
In partnership with the Board and the Executive Chair, the CEO is responsible for determining the strategic direction of the organisation, carefully balancing Wunan’s impact agenda with the ability to deliver operational excellence and maintain commercial viability. The CEO will be expected to provide leadership and inspiration for staff, partners, stakeholders and the community in the pursuit of Wunan’s purpose which is to support Aboriginal people by building capabilities, providing opportunities, and rewarding effort and achievement.
Experience, knowledge & skills
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A genuine commitment to Indigenous empowerment and advancement, working with Indigenous people, organisations and communities.
- Experience working with Indigenous communities or experience working in a cross cultural context with diverse groups and backgrounds
- Experience in working with a board to develop a high-quality strategic plan and a demonstrated capability in the effective implementation of strategic and operational plans.
- The ability to develop robust financial and commercial plans, and budgets to support the strategic plan ensuring financial strength and growth.
- An ongoing commitment to Wunan’s purpose and impact.
- An inspiring and visionary leadership style that will motivate all stakeholders including staff, the Board, Indigenous, corporate and philanthropic partners, governments and the community more broadly.
- A hands-on approach to operational matters.
- A commitment to ensuring Wunan’s programs are both high quality and high value for Indigenous individuals, organisations and communities.
- An ability to work collaboratively with the Leadership team in a way that empowers and values their skills and experience.
- An ability to broker new, and work with existing corporate partners, philanthropic partners and relevant local, state and federal government representatives at the highest levels.
- A commitment to high level advocacy supporting Indigenous empowerment and advancement.
- CEO/GM experience in an equivalent sized organisation and with the organisation’s level of complexity.
- Proven track record in income generation and growing services/teams and income streams.
About the organisation
Wunan Foundation (Wunan) is an Aboriginal development organisation in the East Kimberley region of Western Australia. Wunan operates with a clear purpose and strategy to drive long-term socio- economic change for Aboriginal people by providing real opportunities, investing in people’s abilities, and by encouraging and rewarding aspiration and self-responsibility. Wunan’s efforts are guided by the philosophy that Aboriginal success grows from investing in people’s ability, real opportunity, and reward for effort. They have a strong philosophy of social economic empowerment, as reflected in the range of social enterprises they operate.
The organisation’s revenue comes primarily from social programs, social enterprises, and investments. Increasingly, Wunan is building a strong revenue stream from social enterprises including a medical centre, resort and specialised accounting services. Wunan’s support services are focussed on leadership, education, employment, housing and health are underpinned by a strong welfare reform agenda.
How to apply
People for Purpose have been appointed to recruit for this role. The salary package is $236,000, inclusive of $165,000 cash component + housing, super, motor vehicle, caps on gas, electricity, internet. Additional $22,000 for a Board position with a partially owned affiliated organisation.
If you are looking for an opportunity to use your commercial acumen and operational capability and lead a successful social enterprise that also provides community services and drives long-term socio- economic change for Aboriginal people, we invite you to read the Position Description attached, and visit the Wunan website – https://wunan.org.au/.
If you have specific questions, please call us on 0468 625 252 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can apply via the People for Purpose website by submitting a CV and a covering letter outlining why you are interested in representing Wunan and how your skills and experience align to this opportunity.
Applications close 5.00 pm on Thursday, 12 August 2021.
Please quote in application: CEO: Wunan Foundation via Pro Bono Australia.