About the role
- Lead media and communications activities for a high profile sun protection program
- Be a part of Australia’s most trusted cancer ‘Not for Profit’ organisation
- Full time (0.8 FTE negotiable), fixed term until June 2023 – St Kilda Road, Melbourne
About your opportunity
We are seeking a passionate, driven media and communications advisor to lead the development, planning and implementation of communications activities for the SunSmart Program within the Prevention Division. Reporting to the Media Manager – Prevention Division your role is to:
- Lead the development, planning, implementation and evaluation of SunSmart’s media and communications strategies as outlined in SunSmart’s strategic and annual business plans and in collaboration with the wider SunSmart team, including state-wide media campaigns, launches, events and social media.
- Contribute to national skin cancer prevention campaigns in partnership with the National Skin Cancer Committee and Cancer Council Australia.
- Manage the writing of media releases, resources, articles, letters and opinion pieces for relevant internal and external publications.
- Provide advice and support to Cancer Council representatives (e.g. the Head of SunSmart) and key stakeholders in the handling of media interviews and thoroughly brief key spokespeople before every interview.
All about you
We are looking for someone with:
- A tertiary degree in communications, public relations, or other relevant discipline.
- Substantial experience in planning, implementing and evaluating media and communication strategies / campaigns including advertising, public relations and digital.
- Highly developed media relations skills, including a thorough understanding of the process of conducting a media interview from briefing through to execution and a thorough understanding of traditional and new media.
- Proven ability to communicate and negotiate effectively with a wide range of individuals and organisations.
What we can offer you
- A base salary up to $74,173 – $83,396 pa (pro-rata for part time) plus superannuation and access to a generous not-for-profit salary packaging program (up to $18,550 of your salary tax-free) https://www.accesspay.com.au/employee/what-is-salary-packaging/
- The opportunity to make a positive impact on the lives of those affected by cancer
- A flexible and supportive workplace, with excellent work-life balance and opportunities for career progression and development
About the organisation
About your environment
Since our establishment in 1936, Cancer Council Victoria has developed an international reputation for our innovative work in cancer research, prevention and support. As an independent, not-for-profit organisation, we play a leading role in reducing the impact of all cancers on all people.
The Prevention Division aims to prevent cancer for all Victorians. This is done through community interventions, mass media, advocacy, training and providing policy advice based on the best available evidence. This involves action to affect individual behaviours and the broader physical and legislative environment to reduce cancer risk. We prioritise health inequalities, especially in relation to Aboriginal people, and in culturally diverse and socio-economically disadvantaged communities.
This is achieved through the delivery of public health programs relating to tobacco control (Quit Victoria), obesity prevention (LiveLighter®, Obesity Policy Coalition, Rethink Sugary Drink), sun protection (SunSmart), cancer screening (bowel, breast and cervical), immunisation, (HPV, hepatitis B) alcohol and organisational change (Achievement Program).
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Media & Communications Adviser - SunSmart (PREV.93) via Pro Bono Australia.