About the role
POSITION TYPE: Full Time
REPORT TO: Chief Executive Officer
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
Director of Strategy and Operations
Chief Financial Officer
LOCATION: Melbourne (flexible)
This role will be responsible for operationalising ygap’s strategy, maintaining and improving day-to-day operations, and ensuring a strong foundation of governance and compliance. The role combines project management, human resource management, and systems design.
As the Operations Manager, you will lean on your experience and knowledge of operational frameworks and approaches to coordinate and mobilise resources, implement fit-for-purpose systems and processes, and enable ygap to grow its impact through inclusive entrepreneurship.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
Key Selection Criteria
Minimum three years of project management and/or operations management experience
Minimum five years of professional experience
Demonstrated success in project management, process improvement and implementation
Demonstrated success managing diverse teams to deliver on outcomes
Experience operationalising strategic initiatives
Excellent ability to develop trust and manage relationships with multiple diverse stakeholders
Demonstrated ability to deliver exceptional outcomes in a fast-paced environment and across a broad portfolio
Strong business acumen and demonstrated business analysis skills
Able to maintain flexibility in times of uncertainty and open to adapting as required to achieve desired outcomes
- Understanding of and experience in international development/inclusive entrepreneurship
- Experience working in multi-cultural and geographically dispersed teams
- Systems thinker – Sees the big picture and understand connections, dependencies and consequences
- Detail-oriented – Understands the importance of essential smaller parts to contribute to larger outcomes and commits to delivering on both large and small in equal measure
- Flexible decision-making – Comfortably handles uncertainty, assesses knowns and unknowns and demonstrates solid judgement without having all information
- Curious and thoughtful – Seeks clarification and insights and thoughtfully considers all angles, context and relevant information in determining a course of action
- Proactive and responsible – Takes initiative and ownership from beginning to end and meets or exceeds expectations
- Collaborative and empathetic – Works well alongside team members and understands the competing priorities and needs of various stakeholders
- Strong communicator and influencer – Communicates clearly, provides clarity upon decisions and persuades without the need to rely on authority
Program management – 40%
In conjunction with the Director of Strategy and Operations, develop and operationalise the organisational product strategy by supporting global program delivery teams as they move through the solution lifecycle
Work closely with the MEL (Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning) Manager to operationalise individual programming strategies with global program delivery teams including supporting country directors with their program schedule, resourcing, delivery of objectives and key results (OKRs) and monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) outcomes
Develop and oversee local implementation partnering arrangements
Assist with resolution of managerial and administrative issues as they arise
Develop program budgets & monitor expenditure together with program leads
Monitor compliance with funding arrangements
Strategic human resource management – 30%
- Implement organisation-wide frameworks and processes to support team leaders to manage performance and development of team members
- Coordinate team resourcing to deliver on strategy and organisational goals
- Act as main point of contact for program teams delivering existing products
- Foster global team dynamics
Governance & administration – 30%
- Manage, implement and oversee systems and processes that enable efficient and effective operations
- Identify and implement process improvements
- Manage the alignment of ygap’s global structure to preferred distribution channels
- Develop and monitor operational budgets (HR, legal, IT, etc)
- Develop and monitor compliance with organisational policies
- Identify, monitor and respond to organisational risks, operational changes and governance requirements
- Other tasks as required to the support the Executive team and the Board in their objectives
KPIS AND OUTCOMES
Delivery against ygap’s strategic objectives
- Support program delivery teams to achieve their strategic objectives
TIME COMMITMENT AND TRAVEL
Due to the global nature of the team and partners, there is an expectation that meetings and events will periodically fall outside of ‘traditional’ business hours. There may also be some travel required intermittently throughout the year for periods of up to two weeks.
The Head of Operations will be a full-time role ideally based in Melbourne, Australia, however ygap is open to and supports flexible working arrangements
About the organisation
ygap is an international organisation that supports early-stage social impact ventures with locally- led solutions to local problems. We believe in the power of entrepreneurship as an effective way to make equitable and sustainable change in the world.
We find, accelerate and support the growth of impact ventures led by local entrepreneurs who deeply understand the unique challenges of their communities and are best placed to develop solutions, and we create enabling environments for ventures to succeed in the ecosystems in which they operate.
We currently support ventures across Africa, South Asia, the Pacific Islands and Australia. ygap has offices and local teams that lead our programs in each area that we work. To date, our work has positively impacted the lives of over a million people.
OUR RECRUITMENT GUIDING PRINCIPLES
We have three guiding principles by which we approach our hiring process:
We embrace flexible work arrangements, built on trust and respect
We encourage applicants from all cultures, ethnicities and backgrounds.
We have a strong focus on diversity, inclusion, gender equity and gender equality across all our operations.
At ygap, we welcome all people to be unapologetically themselves. We are not the
same and that is our greatest strength. It is the collective sum of our individual differences, beliefs, experiences, self-expression and talent that enables us to live out our purpose which is to advance global equity through inclusive entrepreneurship. To truly achieve this, we need a community that is representative of the people we serve; the people of the world.
ygap is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion across the organisation and all of our operations.
Humility - Our work is driven and informed by the people we serve
Conviction - We deeply believe in our model and back the ventures that come through our programs
Integrity - We apply our values in every aspect of what we do, earning the trust of those we work with
Effectiveness - We continuously critique our work and improve to ensure long lasting impact
Innovation - We’re willing to challenge the status quo and embrace innovation in our operations and in the ventures we support
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter addressing “Key Selection Criteria” together with a current CV to Mark Harwood at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line of the email “Operations Manager - Application”
Applications close midnight on 31 July 2021
Applications will be processed and candidates interviewed as applications are received, so we encourage you to apply early.
Please quote in application: Operations Manager via Pro Bono Australia.