About the role
There has never been a more exciting time to be working in Mental Health. As the peak body for mental health in Victoria, MHV is at the forefront of the reforms underway, working with a diverse range of stakeholders to ensure that all Victorians living with mental health issues can access the treatment and support they need to lead fulfilling lives in the community.
As a full time or 0.8 Policy Advisor with Mental Health Victoria, you will
- Provide quality and timely advice and responses to emerging issues in mental health
- Research, coordinate and prepare reports, policy submissions, policy papers, and other publications
- Support and / or lead the co-ordination of engagement activities including webinars, consultations and events with MHV members and stakeholders
- Engage with mental health organisations representing a diverse range of stakeholders to inform policy responses
- Represent Mental Health Victoria on local, state and national committees to advocate on mental health issues
Do you have:
- Prior experience in a fast-paced public policy role, with strengths in policy writing, analysis and development
- A solid understanding of the Victorian mental health landscape
- Highly developed research and analytical skills for identifying key issues relevant to Mental Health Victoria’s policy work
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively to a range of diverse audiences and to produce high quality submissions, reports and position papers
- Tertiary qualification in Public Health, Public Policy, Mental Health, or related field.
About the organisation
Mental Health Victoria (MHV) is the peak body for mental health. We work with carers, consumers, clinical and support services, medical colleges, professional associations, unions, police, emergency services, universities, governments and many others involved in mental health.
MHV is a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee and a registered charity. Our Patron is Professor Allan Fels AO and our Ambassador is Professor Patrick McGorry AO. Our income is derived from a combination of Victorian Government and Federal grants, philanthropy, corporate sponsorships, conferences, and income from the provision of training and professional development services.
MHV’s aim is to ensure that all Victorians living with mental illness can access the treatment and support they need to lead fulfilling lives in the community. Towards this end, we commission research and develop policy aimed at improving the mental health system as a whole and its many constituent parts. We bring together mental health system stakeholders through state and national events including conferences, summits and forums, and we auspice the Victorian Mental Health Policy Network.
MHV played a key role in the advocacy leading up to the commencement of the Royal Commission into Victoria’s Mental Health System. As the Royal Commission has now handed down their final report, MHV will be crucial in ensuring that key stakeholders are engaged in the reform process as it unfurls over the next decade. MHV’s policy and communications strategy and subsequent work will be integral to this process.
Our Purpose: Is to ensure that people living with a mental illness can access effective and appropriate treatment and community support to enable them to participate fully in society.
Our Belief: Is that Victorians should have equitable access to world-class mental health services.
Our Mission: Is to drive system reform to ensure that people receive the mental health care they need.
How to apply
If this sounds like you, apply now submitting your cover letter addressing the key requirements and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: Policy Advisor via Pro Bono Australia.