About the role
The Senior Policy Officer reports to the Manager, Policy and Advocacy and works closely with the Director, Policy and Engagement. The role contributes to policy development and research and ensures that policy responses and projects are aligned with Djirra’s priorities. The role also contributes to the broader advocacy and policy responses nationally and requires engagement with a range of key stakeholders including government (State, Commonwealth and Federal), the Aboriginal community, other ACCOs and various funding agencies.
SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITIES ARE:
- Prepare of clear policy papers, submissions, presentations, reports and concise briefings.
- Provide advice and prepare and review reports and briefings as requested by the CEO and Leadership team.
- Manage multiple tasks, timelines and priorities under limited supervision.
- Liaise, negotiate and collaborate across Djirra and with a broad range of stakeholders on the development of policy responses.
- Flexibility to be able to work across Djirra and performing other tasks and contirbuting to other projects as required
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge and understanding of the Victorian Aboriginal community, particularly in relation to the impact of family violence on Aboriginal women.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and contributing to policy and policy submissions, legislative reform and responses to Parliamentary inquiries at a State and Federal Level that affect Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women and children.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with members of the Aboriginal community.
- Demonstrated experience in the development of policy and policy responses that affect Aboriginal women and children.
- Experience in policy development and the ability to research, review, formulate and implement policy.
- Good understanding of current issues
- Prepare project briefs, reports, service plans and policy options and recommendations on complex issues
- Build effective relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to confidently argue complex concepts negotiating with tact and diplomacy on difficult issues.
- Generous salary packaging options available
- Extra days off between Christmas and New Year
- Employee Assistance Program with supportive, confidential counselling for personal and work concerns
About the organisation
Djirra is an Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisation (ACCO) that works towards a future where all Aboriginal women are strong, safe, independent, healthy and positive in their lives, culture and communities. All Djirra’s work is designed by and for Aboriginal women and is deeply respectful of and connected to community. Self-determination is the foundation of everything we do: it is Our Cultural Way.
Djirra’s vision is to provide high quality, culturally appropriate services for Aboriginal women in Victoria who have experienced or are experiencing family violence.
We are committed to ending family violence against Aboriginal women and their children through holistic and culturally safe specialist services, prevention programs and advocacy for change.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Policy Officer via Pro Bono Australia.