About the role
- Full time, fixed-term Senior Occupational Therapist (OT3) position until July 2022 in acute/subacute forensic mental health inpatient setting (potential for ongoing position)
- Applications from Grade 2’s with mental health experience and part-time applications for ongoing OT3 role (0.6EFT) will also be considered.
- Based in Ravenhall Correctional Centre
- Unique opportunity to work in discipline specific position within large, supportive OT team.
- Great salary packaging conditions and leave entitlements
- Free onsite parking
The Senior Occupational Therapist will independently plan, implement, evaluate and document evidenced based Occupational Therapy assessments and interventions. They will promote the benefits of participation and performance in meaningful occupations through liaison, collaboration and consultation with the multi-disciplinary team and key stakeholders. Using occupational therapy frameworks (i.e. the Model of Human Occupation) as a guide, the Senior Occupational Therapist will facilitate and evaluate a range of occupation focussed interventions to people with complex and diverse mental health needs receiving treatment on both acute and sub-acute forensic mental health units. They will also provide onsite support to the OT’s in the same worksite as required.
- Assess, interpret and intervene to improve occupational performance through identifying individual needs based on functional deficits and strengths, and through promoting occupational choices.
- Work with individuals to enhance their understanding of mental health issues, and promote engagement in meaningful occupations and personal skill development in order to support self-management of their mental health.
- Manage the planning, implementation and evaluation of occupational interventions in collaboration with the multi-disciplinary team and the Program manager.
- Provide clinical guidance to other occupational therapists within the worksite as required.
Skills and experience:
- Well developed conceptual understanding of the theories of occupational performance and a committment to understanding and improving patient functioning through assessment and treatment using occupational models of intervention.
- Ability to lead and motivate others, promote learning and creative problem solving.
- Experience of working in a secure environment and awareness of the issues of care delivery in forensic mental health within both prison and hospital environments.
- Demonstrated well developed skills in the mental health field, knowledge and understanding of the current occupational therapy approaches in working with mentally ill people.
Mandatory qualifications & registrations:
- Approved degree in Occupational Therapy recognised for membership of OT Australia – Australian Association of Occupational Therapists.
- Registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulations Agency (AHPRA)
- The successful candidate will be required to register their qualifications on eCredential
This position is subject to a Police Check.
We value our staff and provide a range of employee benefits including:
- Great salary packaging conditions.
- Excellent leave entitlements.
- Post-graduate scholarship programs.
- Ongoing training and full orientation.
- Comprehensive Health and Wellbeing Programs including Employee Assistance Programs.
Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and developing a diverse workforce which reflects the community we serve. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people who identify as LGBTQI, people with a lived experience of disability, as well as people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Forensicare promotes the following values: responsiveness, integrity, impartiality, accountability, respect and leadership; and promotes behaviours that are consistent with these values at all times. Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and offers a smoke free environment.
About the organisation
Forensicare is the statutory agency responsible for the provision of adult forensic mental health services across Victoria. Completed in 2017, the new medium-security men's prison is located in Ravenhall Correctional Centre in Melbourne's west, providing world-class forensic mental health services in Victoria in a purpose-built state of the art facility developed to international best practice standards.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Occupational Therapist via Pro Bono Australia.