About the role
- ❖ Values-driven leadership opportunity
Alkira is a for-purpose community sector organisation providing a range of services and supports for adults with an intellectual disability and their families in Eastern Metropolitan Melbourne. It has revenue of $13 million, 160 staff and 260 participants.
Working closely with the Board, you are responsible for leading and managing Alkira’s human, financial and physical resources. The keys to success are building and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including participants, the NDIA, other disability services providers, and relevant government agencies.
You have strategic and innovative business skills, plus a sound knowledge of the not-for-profit sector and the NDIS. Your ability to create a shared sense of purpose is predicated on proven skills in leading, managing, developing and motivating teams.
Alkira is a for purpose community sector organization providing a range of services and supports for adults with an intellectual disability and their families in the Eastern Metropolitan region of Melbourne.
Our service philosophy is based on recognizing, fostering and celebrating each person’s individuality which in turn informs the way that supports are provided, their capacity and participation in community life with all the associated rights and responsibilities. The social justice and human rights principles of access and equity strongly underpin the values and actions of the organization.
Alkira Community Supports Training and Support (T&S) Services aim to assist people to develop their potential, promote independence and foster enjoyment in a wide variety of group programs and individual activities that are based on their individual needs, interests and wishes. Programs and activities offer exploration in Academics and Further Education, Arts & Leisure, Recreation, Living & Personal Development and Vocational Opportunities.
Alkira Home Supports Residential Service consists of long-term living support accommodation and a short and medium term accommodation a respite service, located in the City of Whitehorse. It aims to provide a comfortable and safe home-like environment which provides residents the opportunity to maximize their potential by supporting being responsive to their individual needs, strengths, interests and wishes. Currently, supported accommodation is offered to 32 people in 7 houses, with 4 short/medium term accommodation respite beds available.
Alkira organisational Support Service provides support and assistance to all Alkira service delivery areas, with the aim of contributing to people’s needs and aspirations being met.
Under delegation from the Board, the CEO will be responsible for the day-to-day management and administration of Alkira. This will include leadership and management of personnel, policies, processes, financial and material resources. Key to this role will be building and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including Participants, NDIA, DHHS other disability service providers, and relevant Government agencies.
The CEO will have an in-depth knowledge of and be capable of successfully leading the organisation’s operation within the NDIS environment. The CEO will have strategic and innovative business skills and extensive experience to lead and guide the Alkira Senior Management team.
The CEO will have outstanding personal attributes including personal drive and integrity, highly developed written and verbal communication, and consultation skills as well as a sound knowledge of the not-for-profit sector. The CEO will possess highly developed managerial skills and an ability to respond flexibly and promptly to organisational requirements and have the capacity for leading, managing, developing and motivating staff members to achieve business outcomes and to create a shared sense of purpose within and across the organisation.
The key objectives of the position are to:
- Work closely with the Chairperson to enable the Board to fulfil its strategic guidance and governance functions; and
- Provide executive leadership, operational management and direction towards achievement of Alkira’s Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Directions, in accordance with Alkira’s Governance Model, Delegation of Authority, Policies and Procedures.
Board, through the Chairperson
Community Supports Manager; Home Supports Manager; Manager People, Learning and Culture; Manager Business Systems and Finance; Manager Quality, Risk and Compliance; Marketing and Communications; Support Coordination; Fundraising
- Undertake executive management of Alkira in accordance with the Delegation of Authority.
- Provide Alkira with executive and strategic leadership and operational management. This includes responsibility for development of and managing progress towards achievement of the organisation’s vision, objectives and strategic directions.
- Ensure that the operations and activities of the organisation are conducted in compliance with relevant legislative frameworks, applicable by-laws, regulations, governance arrangements, policies, and sound business practices.
- Manage Alkira in accordance with the financial and business plans, strategies and budgets developed for and by the Board.
- Ensure that the Board is regularly provided material for consideration and advice on operational and financial matters that will / may affect Alkira’s strategic priorities, strategic plans, business plans and budgets.
- In partnership with the Board, determine the annual goals and objectives for management and ensure that the Board’s decisions are implemented effectively and efficiently.
- Develop budgets for approval by the Board. This includes development of operating forecasts, expenditures, operational results, and financial performance.
- Ensure audit processes are carried out and reported to comply with relevant legislation, the Alkira Constitution.
- Ensure that Alkira is quality accredited and continuously strives to improve its process and quality of services it provides and to foster innovation, learning and professional growth.
- Identify and manage corporate risks, including informing the Board in a timely manner of any issues of public concern or risk that may affect the organisation.
- Develop and maintain an effective organisational structure, establish, and document clear roles and responsibilities for individuals within the organisation.
- Ensure that the Managers and other staff practice responsible and ethical behaviour, integrity, transparency, and accountability and that they promote a culture that upholds Alkira’s values.
- Establish and maintain effective control mechanisms for the Organisation’s operation to ensure the integrity of internal control and management information systems.
- Develop and maintain appropriate strategies for effective engagement with appropriate industries, governments and communities that will lead to productive collaborations with stakeholders both inside and outside Alkira.
- Act as principal spokesperson for Alkira and promote the organisation’s services to external stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain effective risk management strategies relation to areas such as finance/delivery of programs/people management.
- Relevant experience in fields such as community or human services, health or business
- Extensive leadership and general management experience
- Exceptional relationship building and networking abilities
- Sound financial management, people management and quality management skills and experience
- Results orientated and outcome focused
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills
- Ability to develop, manage and deliver customer-focused services
- High degree of integrity and a values driven approach
- Satisfactory police check and working with children’s check
- Post graduate qualifications.
- Membership of relevant professional body
Other requirements of the role:
- Current Drivers licence
- Travel may be required
Performance reviews will occur at least annually with the Board of Directors.
Alkira Centre Box Hill Inc adheres to the principles of Equal Opportunity Legislation.
About the organisation
How to apply
Please quote in application: (AS786) Alkira – CEO via Pro Bono Australia.