About the role
Gangalidda and Garawa Native Title Aboriginal Corporation (GGNTAC) has an exciting new opportunity for a passionate and driven professional to support and steer GGNTAC in its economic growth.
Based in the thriving regional City of Cairns in Far North Queensland, surrounded by lush tropical rainforest and on the doorstep to the World Heritage listed Great Barrier Reef and Wet Tropics Rainforests, this opportunity offers the perfect work-life balance, with extensive travel to the lower Gulf of Carpentaria in outback Queensland.
This is a diverse, challenging, and hands-on leadership role. In collaboration with the GGNTAC Board of Directors, you will travel extensively to Burketown and the Southern Gulf of Carpentaria region
to drive existing and emerging commercial opportunities across a range of industries including Resources, Tourism, Land Management and Service Delivery. You will bring extensive and diverse experience across commercial operating environments in varied sectors.
You will be employed under GGNTAC’s professional services subsidiary, Gangalidda and Garawa Services Pty Ltd, and be accountable to the GGNTAC Chairperson and Board of Directors.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Driving the implementation of GGNTAC’s 10-year Strategic and 5-year Economic Development and Operational Plans;
- Ensuring strategies are in place to build future Indigenous leaders for ongoing success and operations of both established business and new business opportunities;
- Developing Annual Business Plans, monitor progress of annual objectives and control expenditure in accordance with the Board-approved budget and annual business plan;
- Providing strong financial and operational oversight and management of all areas of business of GGNTAC and associated commercial entities and ensure compliance with legislative and relevant accounting standards;
- Providing guidance and advice to the GGNTAC Board to achieve sustainable business outcomes supportive of GGNTAC’s vision and goals;
- Building on current capabilities of GGNTAC and its associated commercial entities to maximise development opportunities on land and waters in which Native Title has been recognised;
- Creating a culture of continual development of the Board and staff and support and build the capacity of the organisation to respond to opportunities as they arise and foster best practice
We are looking for a person with prior experience in similar managerial roles across diverse industries, business structures and operating areas. You have proven ability with business development aligned to
financially sustainable economic growth and secure employment opportunities.
In addition, you have:
- The ability to manage multiple projects with inclusive stakeholder engagement at all levels with a focus on community in planning and timelines;
- Knowledge of Aboriginal cultures and an understanding of the issues faced by remote Indigenous communities and the blockers preventing their participation in the business economy;
- Demonstrated Risk Management and Compliance experience.
This is a genuine opportunity to lead our organisation into the future. The position offers a 2-year fixed-term contract and involves regular travel throughout the southern Gulf of the Carpentaria region.
About the organisation
GGNTAC is a Prescribed Body Corporate, representing the Gangalidda and Garawa People who hold native title rights interests in land and sea country in the Southern Gulf of Carpentaria, stretching east from the Northern Territory border to the Leichhardt River near Burketown.
In addition to performing its native title statutory functions, GGNTAC seeks to undertake economic development projects that support and facilitate Indigenous-owned businesses and continue to manage
Gangalidda and Garawa land and sea resources to protect the region's biodiversity and cultural heritage.
To achieve these aspirations, GGNTAC is growing a number of existing and emerging wholly-owned businesses to deliver products and services that include:
- Native Title Consultation & Future Acts;
- Cultural Heritage Protection;
- Cultural Heritage Induction Workshops;
- Jigija Indigenous Fire Training Program; and
- Tourism & Camping
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Chief Executive Officer via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Community_Development, #Community_Engagement, #Community_Support_Services, #Indigenous