About the role
The role and critical success factors
Reporting to the President and Board of YMCA Australia, the new CEO is to be Melbourne based and will be responsible for both heading a relatively small national office and providing leadership for a federation of diverse and passionate Association executives. As the organisation continues its evolution to embrace a collective leadership model, an ability to collaborate and build strong relationships will be critical to success in this role, as well as the ability to be strategic.
The ideal candidate will be a mission-based leader with a commitment to pursue the Y’s belief that when young people are inspired, they are powerful. The objective for the next Y Australia Chief Executive Officer will be to lead a process of change through stewardship and collective leadership that grows the Y Movement in Australia, builds long-term sustainability and increases the Y’s community impact. The ideal candidate will bring a proven track record of dynamic organisational leadership and emotional intelligence in managing significant change. They will also bring an innovative and creative approach required to ensure the organisation always seeks the best outcomes. Superior communication, stakeholder and advocacy skills that reflect a passion for child safety and youth empowerment will be essential.
Experience, knowledge & skills To be successful in this role, you will have:
- A commitment to pursue the Y’s belief that when young people are inspired, they are powerful.
- Demonstrated leadership experience as a courageous, impactful leader in a collective leadership environment, preferably in a federated environment, or membership-based organisation.
- A record of astute and dynamic organisational leadership, including managing significant and sustainable change.
- Superior communication, stakeholder and advocacy skills.
- Highly developed emotional intelligence able to lead and motivate diverse groups.
The candidate should also be able to demonstrate critical governance insights and experiences, including
- An understanding of good governance with experience in working with a board, and a demonstrated ability to develop and execute on strategy.
- Understanding of risk, particularly as it applies to working with children and youth.
- Experience in financial oversight and management to ensure short term financial health and long-term sustainability.
About the organisation
In Australia, the YMCA (‘the Y’) is a highly successful and respected social enterprise that delivers proven, tangible benefits to the community. The organisation provides a broad range of youth related services, advocates for the rights of young people and provides platforms for their voices to be heard as well as welcoming over 22M participations in its broader services that include childcare, outside school hours care, and inclusive community recreation services The Y in Australia is structured as a Federation of Associations. Y Australia is the national body representing all Y Associations across the country. We operate nationally according to a shared framework and set of principles, while ensuring each Y Association has the greatest possible impact in their local communities
How to apply
People for Purpose are partnering with the Y Australia to lead the search for this role.
We invite you to read the position description located on the People for Purpose website under Executive Search at www.peopleforpurpose.com.au. To review the Community Impact Report 2020, which provides further details regarding the work and activities of the Y in Australia, please visit the annual report section of their publications page at www.ymca.org.au.
Once you have absorbed this information and done your own research, if you have specific questions, please call us on 0468 625 252 or email email@example.com
To apply, as well as your CV, you must submit a cover letter outlining why you are interested in representing the Y Australia and how your skills and experience align to this opportunity.
Applications close 5pm on Monday, 11 October 2021.
Please quote in application: Chief Executive Officer: YMCA Australia – the Y via Pro Bono Australia.