About the role
Reporting to the General Manager Development, the Development Manager is responsible for identifying suitable housing development opportunities for Housing Choices target areas of operation, undertaking feasibility studies to ensure financial, environmental, and social sustainability. The Development Manager will also manage the implementation of projects including preliminary works and oversee all aspects of the process from design to successful handover.
The successful candidate will need to be able to demonstrate experience in delivering strategic development for projects considering the broader development environment, and innovative funding, joint venture and partner offers. As well as review planning proposals and be able to secure future development opportunities
You must have an in-depth understanding, gained through experience, of grants, EOIs, report writing feasibility studies, heritage, and other studies, to be able to deliver to large-scale growth projects
We are therefore seeking a Development Manager who can understand design, procurement, scope of works, the planning and delivery phases of development programmes as well as be commercial astute.
- Technical knowledge of Development, Building and Construction processes and projects
- Experience in business development and identifying funding sources to support development opportunities
- Experience in preparing project reports and tender documents
- Manage the design and process of projects, including architectural and engineering design and facilitating and assessing relevant cost estimates.
- An understanding of a projects full lifecycle within the commercial sector in medium to large scale projects
- Commercial Project Management experience including systematic assessment, development, monitoring and review of projects, consultant inputs, with significant focus on planning and delivery of built form and community outcomes.
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills and experience in liaising with consultants and stakeholders to develop design briefs, costings and submissions to local government town planners.
- Facilitate as necessary community consultation with respect to proposed projects.
- Influence and Negotiation skills – the ability to influence and effectively negotiate with clients/stakeholders to achieve desired outcomes.
- Experience in administering construction contracts with successful contractors following tender evaluation and manage delivery across the design and build phases
- High level conceptual, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to build and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders both internal and external
- Drive the implementation of quality control measures to ensure that the quality of project plans and proposals are of the highest standard, in accordance with HCA values, budget, policies and best practice.
- Experience in managing teams, project budgets and client relationships.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in an appropriate discipline and PRINCE 2 (practitioner preferred), or PMP, or Reg PM qualifications
We are seeking someone who naturally combines a strong business and accountability ethos with a deep commitment to our vision and mission.
About the organisation
Join us and share our Vision:
‘All people affordably housed in neighborhoods that support life opportunities’
Housing Choices Australia (Housing Choices) is a leading and growing national not-for-profit housing provider. Our goal is to ensure that people are housed in inclusive communities and to create homes that encourage a sense of belonging. We own or manage more than 7,000 homes across Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, NSW and WA.
We provide a culture that supports individuals to be their best, with opportunities for personal and career development. We are committed to cultivating an equal, diverse, and inclusive environment for our staff, residents, and stakeholders.
Housing Choices recognises the benefits of a diverse workforce. We celebrate and respect our people's differences and are committed to being inclusive.
We strongly encourage Aboriginal Australians and persons with a disability to who are attracted to our opportunities to apply.
How to apply
What we offer in return, on top of our competitive remuneration package, we also provide
- A positive, values-based culture
- Income protection
- Paid parental leave
- A day off on your birthday
- Flexible working arrangements
- Salary Packaging for living expenses, meal, and entertainment expenses
- Excellent career development opportunities
Please note that it is a requirement of this position that all appointments are made subject to a satisfactory National Police Check conducted by Housing Choices Australia and the successful post holder to.
- Provide a valid employee Working with Children Check
- Agree to comply with Child Safe Environments policies and procedures
- Provide a current driver’s license and willingness to travel across Housing Choices’ locations, as required.
To find out more about us, the role and the excellent benefits and conditions we offer, please visit our website. Applicants must apply through Seek.com and include a covering letter outlining your suitability for the position as outlined in the position description. A copy of the Position Description is available on HCA website, housingchoices.org.au. For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Marguerite Cokalis – Business Partner People and Culture on 03 8636 9433.
Housing Choices Australia reserves the right to commence recruitment proceedings immediately. This opportunity is only open to candidates with appropriate legal working rights within Australia. Housing Choices recognises the benefits
Please quote in application: Development Manager via Pro Bono Australia.