About the role
Call for Applications CBM Australia is looking to fill the position of Disability Inclusion Advisor – Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Canberra), which is a key role within our Inclusion Advisory Group. What we do CBM Australia’s Inclusion Advisory Group (IAG) is a team of international development professionals, working alongside the disability movement to ensure that development and humanitarian programs include people with disabilities. Our goal is to influence the programs of other aid agencies to be more inclusive of people with disabilities. We believe that tailored input, communicated effectively, with the right people at the table can help make inclusion a reality. See more about the work of our team here: https://www.cbm.org.au/inclusionadvisorygroup About this role CBM IAG has a long-standing partnership with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), through which we provide technical advice and support on disability-inclusive development. Under this partnership, we provide a Disability Inclusion Advisor – Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Canberra) who is placed within the Disability, Indigenous Issues and Social Inclusion (DIS) section in DFAT and who is closely linked back to the CBM IAG team in Melbourne. The advisor provides direct technical advice and support to DFAT staff on disability inclusion, whilst also linking DFAT staff to the wider IAG advisory team in Melbourne. To be successful in the role, the advisor must be a confident and effective communicator, able to build networks and bring others along the disability inclusion journey. They must have a good understanding of development policy and processes and the ability to examine and improve processes and systems. The role would suit a proactive and motivated advisor comfortable to work independently. This Disability Inclusion Advisor – DFAT (Canberra) will:
- be a 12-month role, with the possibility of extension into a broader role within CBM’s IAG team
- be fully dedicated to DFAT, working in the DFAT Canberra office alongside DFAT staff
- support DFAT DIS with key disability inclusion priorities, for example building disability inclusion capacity across the Department
- provide direct technical advice and on-the-spot support to DFAT staff, for example: attending peer review meetings, discussing designs, or providing comment on meeting briefs.
- facilitate DFAT staff access to disability inclusion technical advice from the broader CBM IAG team through the DID4All Help Desk
- support other CBM IAG staff to effectively target advice to DFAT
- report to the Director of DFAT DIS for day-to-day supervision and tasking
- receive technical and profession mentoring from one of CBM IAG’s Advisor Managers, who will also ensure management complies with CBM policies (e.g. leave, performance management).
Who we’re looking for Our team of Disability Inclusion Advisors is made up of people from a variety of professional backgrounds, from former diplomats to humanitarian workers and allied health professionals. For this Disability Inclusion Advisor – Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Canberra) role, we are specifically looking for the following:
- Experience in disability inclusion, or the inclusion of other marginalised groups, preferably in an international development context
- Higher level (tertiary) qualifications in public health, international development or social policy
- Strong understanding of government policy and processes (and direct experience advising government, preferably DFAT, will be highly regarded)
- Exceptional analytical and written and expressive communication skills
- A high level of initiative, strategic thinking and the ability to self-manage
- A commitment to human rights and inclusion
- A commitment to working in partnership
- An active NV1 security clearance strongly desirable
- Applicants with lived experience of disability will be highly regarded.
How to apply If this sounds like you, please email your CV along with a cover letter addressing your interest in joining the team and what you have to offer to the by Clicking Here. Please note applications will only be accepted via the Applicant Portal. We will be receiving and reviewing applications until close of business on the 8th of October 2021, however applications will be considered earlier as they are received. Background checks CBM Australia is committed to workplace equity and diversity and encourages applications from Australian Residents with diverse cultural backgrounds and people with a disability. CBM Australia is committed to the safety and best interest of all children accessing CBM supported services, programs and workplace. Relevant background checks including working with children, police and reference checks will be completed prior to the preferred candidate’s employment being confirmed. The Disability Inclusion Advisor – Canberra based role placed with DFAT DIS is also required to have a NV1 level security clearance.
About the organisation
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Disability Inclusion Advisor – DFAT (Canberra) via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Community_Development, #Disabilities, #Government