About the role
About Access Program:
The Access Program works to increase access to legal support and progress social justice. It achieves this through three key focuses: providing legal support at scale through digital strategies, rapid responses to community need including disaster response work, and focused work on priority areas of financial and employment law problems.
The team uses a range of approaches including specialist advice, pro bono referrals and online resources. We leverage innovative technology and our network of over 10,000 pro bono lawyers that assist in delivering our legal services. We help across a wide range of areas of law and at all stages of legal issues. We have particular expertise in dealing with issues that have escalated to court proceedings with a long history of running court-based services across a range of jurisdictions.
By identifying and responding quickly to emerging legal trends and using a multi-intensity, multi-channel approach, we strategically tackle legal need in the community. In all our work, we centre client experience and our aspiration to maximise the impact of our interventions.
About the role:
The Lawyer – Products and Online role is focused on delivery of our strategy to provide one-to-one and one-to-many assistance, particularly through self-help tools, and digital interventions. The role:
- supports legal service delivery to help seekers experiencing financial stress
- supports improvement and utilisation of our digital products to deliver services such as Justice Connect Answers
- leads the design and delivery of online self-help resources in the Access Program
- contributes to developing and trialling new services to vulnerable and disadvantaged members of the community including through the domestic building legal service
The Lawyer – Products and Online works with the Senior Lawyer – Innovation and Innovation Manager on development of new approaches to dealing with emerging issues. It will also participate in the service delivery work of the team as required and liaises closely with the positions focused on service delivery, including Manager & Principal – Service Delivery, to ensure this work informs the development of new approaches.
- Together with the Innovation Manager and Senior Lawyer – Innovation, working on multiple new responses to emerging legal needs and innovation projects.
- Engaging with service delivery staff together with service research and data to identify new opportunities for service improvement or new projects.
- Participation in the service delivery activities of the team as required, including providing, checking and supervising (through a Nominated Person delegation) the delivery of unbundled legal services delivered by Access Program, including on Justice Connect Answers.
- Delivery of identified new approaches and projects being trialled.
- Design and develop of online resources and tools in line with strategy to increase the number of people that the team assists and deliver a multi-channel and multi-intensity approach.
- Stakeholder engagement in relation to innovation projects.
- Participating in evaluating innovation projects.
- Collaborating with the Innovation and Engagement team.
- Support the leadership team of the program to implement the team and organisational strategy. This may involve work to improve how the team identifies and responds help seekers with multiple issues, the way in which the team collaborates to respond to need, and how it identifies efficiencies and opportunities for impact.
- Manage Paralegals.
- Escalate risk and legal practice management issues to a Principal Lawyer or Manager.
- Contributing to Justice Connect’s Reconciliation Action Plan activities.
About the organisation
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join one of Australia’s most successful public interest and social justice organisations. In the face of rising levels of unmet legal need, Justice Connect designs and delivers high impact interventions to increase access to legal support and progress social justice.
We are committed to taking an impact-focused approach, applying research and design principles to develop our products and services to ensure they make a tangible difference for our clients and sector peers.
We deliver services that assist both people and community organisations. Those we assist often struggle to navigate the law, are unable to use the law in their daily lives and experience the impacts of harsh and unjust laws. We aim to prevent and to solve legal problems so that we can prevent the negative impacts on people’s lives and organisations and empower the community to use the law as a force for good.
Given the scale of the challenges we address, we use digital innovation to extend our reach and impact, supporting us to be more efficient and accessible, while helping us capture and use data to better understand legal need and underlying systemic issues.
We harness the extraordinary pro bono contributions of over 50 member firms and the barristers we work with across the country. We channel pro bono effort through our innovative service models to ensure that pro bono hours deliver real impact for the community.
We develop strategic interventions to help address the system-level drivers of legal problems and barriers people face when engaging with the legal system. By addressing root causes of flawed or unfair laws and poorly designed systems, we prevent the long-term challenges that people and organisations continue to face.
Our creative and passionate staff drive us forward with a commitment to evaluation and iteration that ensures our impact increases year on year.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Lawyer - Products and Online via Pro Bono Australia.