About the role
Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT (ALS) has been providing legal services to Aboriginal people since 1970. They were the first free legal service in the country and are the leading legal services organisation providing free legal help, including advice and representation, to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men, women and children in NSW and ACT.
ALS is fearless with its advocacy and committed to achieving justice for Aboriginal people. They are ethical, accountable and community focused and, with the NSW Coalition of Aboriginal Peak Organisations, have a lead role in the development of jurisdictional implementation plans to support the goals of the National Agreement on Closing the Gap.
Reporting to the Deputy CEO, and collaborating closely with ALS Principal Solicitors you will provide strategic leadership in the ACT. You have demonstrated experience in policy and advocacy for Aboriginal and Torrres Strait Islander People. Specifically you will:
- Developing and managing ALS justice projects
- Lead the embedding of justice reinvestment within the operations, policy priorities and structure of the ALS in the ACT
- Lead the ALS Closing the Gap strategy work in the ACT
- Lead and contribute to the ALS Policy and Advocacy work in the ACT
- Enhance community networking and engagement in the ACT
- Enhance government relationships in the ACT
The position is initially offered on a contract period of up to 12 months, with possibility of extension.
You will identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and will be passionate about using your skills to impact the important work of ALS. You have knowledge and understanding of the injustices and issues affecting Aboriginal communities and individuals across the ACT. Additionally, you will have:
- Experience working with clients in community justice, health, welfare or similar
- Proven leadership, influencing, communication, negotiation and people management skills
- Demonstrated advocacy knowledge and experience for Aboriginal clients in policy/advocacy
- Demonstrated ability to actively engage with key partner agencies
- Demonstrated experience in policy analysis, policy development and project management
- Current valid Driver’s licence and a willingness to drive or travel
If you’re motivated to join an organisation fighting for justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people please forward your resume and cover letter responding to the skills required section above. Alternatively, please call 02 8243 0570 for more information.
Please note there is no formal closing date for this role, if you are interested we would encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
About the organisation
How to apply
Please quote in application: Manager, Justice Projects via Pro Bono Australia.