About the role
We are seeking a Senior Media and Communications Advisor to join the Prevention Division. Reporting to the Media Manager your role is to:
- Plan and coordinate media and communications activities for the Screening, Early Detection and Immunisation (SEDI) program including breast, bowel, and cervical screening, HPV immunisation, liver cancer/viral hepatitis. This includes working across the SEDI team, internal and external stakeholders to ensure coordinated planning, delivery and evaluation.
- Lead and implement communications activities specifically for priority communities, including (but not limited to) targeted communications to culturally and linguistically diverse populations, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, and LGBTIQ communities.
- Project management for select SEDI program communication initiatives, developing project plans, coordinating activities, internal working groups and stakeholders to ensure initiatives are delivered on time and on budget.
- Develop and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders and contribute to public awareness and understanding of Prevention programs.
All about you
We are looking for someone with:
- A tertiary degree in communications, public relations or other relevant discipline.
- Substantial experience in planning and implementing integrated multi-faceted media and communication strategies / campaigns including public relations, digital (social media and websites), print and issues management.
- Substantial experience in delivering health messages / campaigns to priority communities such as culturally and linguistically diverse, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, LGBTIQ and people with a disability.
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships as well as negotiate effectively with a wide range of individuals and organisations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present information, simply and clearly to a range of audiences.
About the organisation
Since our establishment in 1936, Cancer Council Victoria has developed an international reputation for our innovative work in cancer research, prevention and support. As an independent, not-for-profit organisation, we play a leading role in reducing the impact of all cancers on all people.
The Prevention Division aims to prevent cancer for all Victorians. This is done through community interventions, mass media, advocacy, training and providing policy advice based on the best available evidence. This involves action to affect individual behaviours and the broader physical and legislative environment to reduce cancer risk. We prioritise health inequalities, especially in relation to Aboriginal people, and in culturally diverse and socio-economically disadvantaged communities. This is achieved through the delivery of public health programs relating to tobacco control (Quit Victoria), obesity prevention (LiveLighter, Obesity Policy Coalition, Rethink Sugary Drink), sun protection (SunSmart), cancer screening (bowel, breast and cervical), immunisation, (HPV, hepatitis B), alcohol and organisational change (Achievement Program).
With the aim to achieve equitable outcomes for all Victorians, the Screening, Early Detection and Immunisation (SEDI) program works in partnership with stakeholders to deliver community-based programs, innovative media and communications activities and engages with the primary care and workforce sector to deliver training and education to support participation in breast, bowel and cervical cancer screening, early detection (with a particular focus on viral hepatitis-related liver cancer) and HPV immunisation.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Media and Communications Advisor – PREV.145 via Pro Bono Australia.