About the role
The MND Carer Project coordinator role is a new one within the Association. It is a 12-month project role.
There are many services available to people who care for someone with a disability; care for an older person or care for someone in the palliative stages of their condition. We do not want to replicate carer services that are available in the wider community/provided by “generic” carer services, many of which are fabulous. MND Victoria believes there is more specific support that could be provided to carers who support people with MND.
Over the 12 months of the project, the project coordinator will:
- research and scope the needs of carers of people with MND
- develop pilot support programs and resources
- develop collaborative partnerships with other services and organisations
- evaluate the program and make recommendations for ongoing carer support.
Ultimately, it is envisaged that some carer support programs developed through the year will be self-sustaining and continue after the end of the project. However, the project will also consider if an ongoing Carer Coordinator will be required (dependent on funds being secured).
About the organisation
MND Victoria is dedicated to providing the best possible support for people living with motor neurone disease (MND). ‘People living with MND’ includes people who have been diagnosed, families, carers, former carers, friends, workmates, service providers and any other person whose life is, or has been, affected by MND.
MND Victoria was formed in 1981 by a group of volunteers with the strong involvement of people with MND, their families, health professionals and other concerned people to address the absence of a coordinated response to MND. It is a state-wide, not-for-profit organisation, predominately self- funded, situated in Canterbury in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
Services to people living with MND or some other unrepresented neurological diseases that cause disability, are delivered at no cost to the client. They are coordinated and provided through MND Victoria Support Services. Volunteers are a vital part of MND Victoria and work across most program areas.
The focus of all MND Victoria’s Support Services activities is to support people living with MND in their own community or residence of choice; to ensure that the generic service systems of health, disability and aged care are able to meet the needs of people living with MND; that no person with MND has a high level of unmet needs. Support Services aim to act as an interface between people living with MND, the service system and service providers.
The four key MND Victoria Support Services are:
- MND Advisor and Support Coordinator Service: MND Advisors provide support to people living with MND to assist them to live as long as possible with the best quality of life possible.
- Education and Client Support Service: The Client Support and Education service provides comprehensive education and information support to people impacted by MND. This team is where the new Carer Project role will be based.
- Equipment Service: MND Victoria has developed an extensive range of assistive technology equipment, available free of charge to people with MND.
- MND Victoria’s work is supported by a network of volunteers. The dedicated assistance that volunteers provide underpins all MND Victoria’s activities.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: MND Carer Project Coordinator via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Aged_Care_and_Seniors, #Community_Support_Services, #Disabilities, #Health_–_General