About the role
- Fulltime Position
- Fixed term contract to February 2023
- Woolloomooloo Based (Working from home during COVID restrictions)
About the opportunity
Due to an internal promotion, we have a new opportunity for an experienced Policy Officer.
The Policy Officer plays a critical role at BEING – Mental Health Consumers in supporting and promoting the rights of mental health consumers through the ongoing development of BEING –Mental Health Consumers’ policy directives and systemic advocacy work.
Working closely with the CEO and Senior Policy Officer, the role will develop submissions and position papers, and provide systemic advocacy on a number of key statewide committees. The role will work collaboratively with the Community Engagement team to establish key events to engage with consumers and stakeholders in ascertaining their views, perspectives, and needs.
To be successful in the role, you will need to have:
- A positive attitude and collaborative approach
- Ability and confidence to represent BEING at high-level government committees and events.
- Excellent research skills
- Ability to analyse, synthesis and communicate complex information
- Confident in using IT, including research data methods
- Highly organised with excellent time management
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in developing and implementing strategies to increase participation and engagement with people experiencing mental health issues, emotional distress and suicidal crisis.
- Draft briefs, reports, submissions, and policy papers to a high standard.
- Plan, conduct and evaluate consultations throughout NSW to ensure the work of BEING – Mental Health Consumers is informed by a diversity of consumer perspectives.
- Research and write position statements, reports and/or policy advice and other policy and promotional material.
- Other Duties as required
To be successful in the position you will have the following:
- Experience working with various research and analysis methods to provide advice on current social policy issues.
- Demonstrated ability to research and write position statements, reports and/or policy advice and other policy and promotional material.
- Ability to liaise and build effective relationships with a diversity of stakeholders, including people with mental health issues and emotional distress, service providers, policymakers, and funding bodies.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise effectively with a diversity of stakeholders, including mental health consumers, service providers and policymakers, and manage competing interests.
- Excellent time management skills, including managing projects and competing demands
- Demonstrated ability to work both in a team environment and independently with minimal supervision
- Strong computer skills, including the use of MS Office suite – Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Proven ability to contribute to policy development and project management.
- Experience in working with relevant funding body streams including NSW Government governance and reporting requirements
- Knowledge of the mental health and disability sectors, and issues affecting the communities we represent.
- Knowledge in assessing risk at both organisational and individual levels.
- Capacity to advocate effectively from a human rights and social justice perspective
- The Ability to travel interstate and nationally as required (pending COVID restrictions)
What you’ll get in return:
- Work life balance & flexibility in family-friendly environment
- Competitive base salary
- Work with a collaborative team who cares
- EAP services
- Modern terrace office location, with a lovely outdoor balcony for lunches and breaks
- Workplace surrounded by public transport
- Working for a peak body who is making a difference
- Health and wellbeing initiatives
About our Culture
As a NSW peak body, BEING is a unique not-for-profit who is focused on advocating for our members and broader community. Our culture ensures we foster collaborative and inclusive team approaches.
With a focus on our people, our team enjoy working here because we know how to have fun and work hard in equal measure. We keep each other going through any challenges and band together as a team to get the job done.
About the organisation
BEING – Mental Health Consumers is the independent, NSW peak organisation speaking with and for people with lived/living experience of mental health issues. Our primary focus is to ensure the voices of people living with mental health issues are heard by decision-makers, service providers, and the community, and have an opportunity to lead and influence systemic change in services and systems.
BEING – Mental Health Consumers is committed to human rights principles of diversity, inclusion, and equity and believes that recovery is possible for all people who live with mental health issues and emotional distress
How to apply
To be considered for this role Hit 'Apply Now' and submit your application!
BEING – Mental Health Consumers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This means we apply affirmative action strategies to the employment of people with personal lived/living experience of mental health issues and encourage people living with mental health issues to apply and to be involved as employees of our organisation.
Please quote in application: Policy Officer via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Community_Support_Services, #Consulting, #Mental_Health