About the role
Penington Institute, an independent and not-for-profit organisation, actively supports the adoption of approaches to drug use that promote safety and human dignity. It does so through thought leadership, community education, front-line worker training, research and policy formation.
The successful candidate will work as part of a small and high-functioning team that reports to, and collaborates with, the Manager, Research and Policy on strategic policy, research and advocacy activities.
- Take a proactive role in identifying and staying informed about policy issues relevant to drug use.
- Draft high quality submissions and reports to government, the Executive, key strategic committees and other stakeholders.
- Engage with key stakeholders to keep abreast of developments and intelligence from front-line workforces and various networks.
- Source and analyse relevant policy, research and data, presenting recommendations to ensure that Penington Institute makes well-informed, evidence-based decisions.
- Write content on policy issues for our publications (media releases, websites, publications and campaign materials).
- Contribute to other projects as required.
We offer a dynamic working environment and are located in Carlton, in the heart of the vibrant Lygon St precinct.
The position is a full-time or negotiated part-time contract for two years. The remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
About the organisation
Penington Institute is an independent not-for-profit organisation that actively supports the adoption of approaches to drug use that promote safety and human dignity. Our purpose is framed by our knowledge that we need to look at more effective, cost-efficient and compassionate ways to prevent and respond to problematic drug use in our community. Penington Institute advances health and community safety by connecting substance use research to practical action.
Our activities include:
- Enhancing awareness of the health, social and economic drivers of drug-related harm.
- Promoting rational, integrated approaches to reduce the burden of death, disease and social problems related to problematic substance use.
- Building and sharing knowledge to empower individuals, families and the community to take charge of substance use issues.
- Better equipping front-line workers to respond effectively to the needs of those with problematic drug use.
Penington Institute collaborates with a broad range of sectors and organisations to identify and respond to specific substance use problems and their causes. With our outreach to the front-line we are well-placed to know and understand the realities of how drugs impact on communities. We add our front-line knowledge and experience to our analysis of the evidence to help support practical research and policy and the development of support services and public health campaigns. Our strong, diverse networks provide an excellent platform for building support for effective initiatives.
How to apply
Ensure your application includes a cover letter addressing the selection criteria and a current CV.
For further information on this position, please contact Dr Karen Gelb on +613 9650 0699.
Submit your application to Anna Rolle, email@example.com.
Applications close on Friday 29 October at 5pm; you are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Please quote in application: Senior Policy Officer via Pro Bono Australia.
Sector: #Community_Development, #Drug_Alcohol_and_Addiction, #ResearchMedical_Research