About the role
The Software Developer provides expertise in developing and maintaining various applications, websites and web services supporting VCGS service delivery. This person works closely with application analysts, software developers, customer care and business development to ensure solutions are developed that are fit for purpose and integrate well with existing systems. All levels of professional experience are considered. The Software Developer gathers and refines specifications and requirements based on technical needs and becomes involved with all relevant website development and implementation work. They are responsible for creating, maintaining and ensuring that all documentation is made available. They identify user training needs and participate in the training of end users. They are also responsible for ensuring a high level of software quality, and support the adoption of best practices, both in terms of software development practices but also DevOps/Cloud practices, as well as tools and technologies of choice. As such, they are actively participating in technical discussions within the team, driving towards an actionable outcome, participating in experimentation and prototypes, and appropriately documenting and adopting the decisions. They are a strong contributor of the team’s day-to-day processes and rituals. The person will work closely with team members, the Lead of the Unit and the heads of the business units to ensure a full understanding of the operational, strategic and management context and consequences of the decisions associated with software development projects.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Developing new applications, websites and web services.
- Maintaining existing applications, websites and web services.
- Applying best practice software development methodologies to develop robust and scalable solutions.
- Showing initiative by identifying and designing solutions to improve existing applications.
- Liaising with team members for systems integration activities.
- Ensuring the health of the applications, websites and web services.
- Supporting duties as necessary to support the Unit e.g. providing coverage and support in times of leave and absence.
- Contributing to technical discussions within the team.
- Championing policies and processes and role model compliance including successful completion of compliance training.
- A tertiary qualification in BA / Honours / Masters in computer science, software engineering, information technology or related discipline plus an appropriate level of expertise gained from a combination of experience, training or professional accreditation.
- Experience developing and maintaining applications, websites and web services.
- Experience with continuous integration and deployment processes.
- Experience with managing running systems (logging, monitoring, alerting, etc.).
- Experience with relational databases & writing SQL queries.
- Experience with software version control systems such as Git.
- Experience querying, building and maintaining RESTful APIs.
- Experience with Linux and Bash.
- Experience with Agile project management (e.g. Scrum, Kanban).
- Thoughtful approach to problem identification and solutions.
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Effective communication, presentation and writing skills.
- Experience with TypeScript.
- Experience with various software architecture patterns (e.g. micro-services).
- Experience with cloud computing, particularly AWS.
- Experience with asynchronous processing (e.g. queues, workflow management).
- Experience with PostgreSQL databases.
- Experience with containers (particularly Docker).
- Experience with container orchestration (e.g. Kubernetes, Docker Swarm).
- Experience in the Users/Accounts management, Authentication / SSO space.
- Experience querying, building and maintaining GraphQL APIs.
- Experience with Python 3, & possibly Django / Django CMS.
- Experience with payment gateway integration such as Stripe (preferred), PayPal or eWAY.
- Experience with mentoring more junior team members, especially about technical skills.
- Experience in diagnostic and/or research lab operations.
What’s in it for you:
- 2-Year Contract (Possible extension for the right Candidate).
- Full Time Position.
- Attractive Salary $89,669 – $120,484 per annum + Super.
- Salary Packaging, Well Being Program and much more.
- Flexible working options also available.
About the organisation
Who Are We?
Victorian Clinical Genetics Services (VCGS) is a not-for-profit subsidiary of the Murdoch Children's Research Institute www.mcri.edu.au and provides a wholly integrated genetic testing, diagnostic and counselling service for health professionals, patients and their families across Victoria, Australia and globally. Our clinical geneticists and genetic counsellors work in close consultation with our medical scientists to provide the most accurate interpretation for complex genetic tests. VCGS also plays a pivotal role in research and development, driving translational research and policy development in the field of genetics.
We are committed to ensuring a positive working environment that values all backgrounds and experiences. We cultivate an inclusive culture that is underpinned by equal opportunity for all and a culture based on respect, consideration and dignity. We are also committed to developing our people and fostering an environment where learning and development is central to our staff reaching their full potential.
How to apply
For a full list of responsibilities and the key selection criteria download the position description.
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one document. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t 100% match the exact criteria for this position.
Applications will only be considered when submitted via the MCRI website.
For specific questions not answered in the PD please contact Arnaud Dumont email@example.com.
Click apply to proceed with your application.
Closing Date: 02 November 2021.
Position Reference: 30704.
On occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, all members of the LGBTQI community and people with disability.
Should you require any specific support or adjustments please talk to us and we will be happy to accommodate.
Please quote in application: Software Developer via Pro Bono Australia.