About the role
- Located in East Melbourne / Dandenong
- SCHADS Level 6 + EBA benefits including 3% above award payment
+ 10% Superannuation + Salary packaging available
- Be part of an organisation striving to create a world where all women and children will be safe and free from family violence
We are seeking enthusiastic and well organised Community Lawyers to join our Legal team. This is a great opportunity for experienced lawyers who are passionate about supporting access to justice for disadvantaged clients who have been impacted by family violence, in the areas of Family Immigration Law. This role will see you working in an integrated model of service delivery working with inTouch Case Managers and the Legal Team to provide a holistic service to CALD women on their journey to
safety. The inTouch legal casework includes family violence, VOCAT, family and/or immigration law. The work includes advice, drafting court documents, negotiating agreements and some court representation and administrative tasks associated with managing a caseload.
This role requires lawyers with a mature attitude, ability to take control and work collaboratively within a team environment. Sound planning and organisational skills are essential, along with the ability to multi-task, prioritise and make decisions. The successful candidates will be committed to social justice, and have a genuine interest in seeking just outcomes for culturally diverse women and their children experiencing a range of legal issues.
inTouch is a leading accredited legal service.
Key Selection Criteria
- Unrestricted Legal Practicing Certificate in the State of Victoria pursuant to the Legal Profession Act 2004;
- At least 3 years legal practice experience in family law or immigration law and preferably experience in related fields of law (intervention orders; victims of crime assistance; and any other areas associated with family violence);
- Demonstrated experience in family law and family violence, VOCAT and immigration law casework including taking instructions; giving advice; preparing court documents; filing documents; appearance at hearings and negotiating outcomes;
- Advanced interpersonal skills and experience in working with clients from diverse backgrounds in an emphatic and culturally competent manner;
- Sound decision making skills and the ability to provide timely, accurate and strategic legal advice;
- Demonstrated time management and organisational skills
- Experience in working in a Community Legal Centre environment and are familiar with the NACLC risk management guidelines and cross check procedures;
- Ability to speak a language other than English.
- Ability to take initiative and accept responsibility.
- Team player able to engage people, problem solve and achieve results.
- High ethical standards and values, and ability to act with integrity and confidentiality.
- Genuine interest and commitment to social justice and multicultural values.
- Exhibits cultural competency;
- Energy and enthusiasm;
- Ability to work under pressure.
About the organisation
inTouch Multicultural Centre Against Family Violence is a leading accredited service, which provides services, programs and responses to issues of family violence in migrant and refugee communities. By acknowledging the rights and diverse experiences of our clients, we develop and implement a number of culturally sensitive and holistic models for the provision of services to both victims and perpetrators of family violence. In addressing the issues of family violence we act on multiple levels – individual, community and advocacy.
For more information about inTouch, including their rich history and role within the family violence sector please visit http://www.intouch.org.au
How to apply
As part of our screening process in support of the safeguarding of our clients, candidates will be required to complete a satisfactory National Police Check, Statutory Declaration where necessary, sign our Code of Conduct and complete a Working with Children Check.
The successful candidates are required to comply with the inTouch policy for all staff have full COVID vaccinations, including boosters, unless they have a medical exemption.
inTouch has an Equal Opportunity Exemption (H143/2018) and requests applications from those who identify as female only. Candidates from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, send a short covering letter explaining why you are interested in this position, attach your CV and a brief document (2 pages maximum) addressing the key selection criteria.
There is no application close date and interviews will be held on a rolling basis, candidates are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience. A detailed position description is available on our website www.intouch.org.au
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Community Lawyer via Pro Bono.
Applications close on Interviews will be held on a rolling basis.
Please quote in application: Community Lawyer – Family and Family Violence Law via Pro Bono Australia.