About the role
[Part time appointment for 21 hours per week, subject to satisfactory probationary performance]
The role will include monitoring available information; collecting and analysing pertinent information (including statistics) and ensuring dissemination of such information to individual, community, government and other users of WESTIR services, especially those in Greater Western Sydney. They will provide expert advice particularly in WESTIR’s research, evaluation and training activities. Supervision of the research team is required. The person should have knowledge of the not for profit and community sector. In addition the position will require Management and Administrative skills are preferable.
- Supervision of Social Research and Information Officers project work;
- Analyse social trends & issues affecting Greater Western Sydney;
- Respond to information requests from organisations & the community;
- Prepare statistical data & publications;
- Develop information & data resources;
- Advise on and conduct research projects;
- Make presentations of research results;
- Undertake project or service evaluations;
- Communicating research findings;
- Assist the Executive Officer with management support, if required.
- Degree in Social Sciences or equivalent.
- Ability to analyse, manipulate & interpret social statistical information & trends (especially re Census data);
- Experience in social research & analysis.
- Experience in presenting research outcomes and preparing research for publication;
- Familiarity with a broad range of data.
- Skills with MapInfo and/or statistical/analytic software [e.g. Table Builder, SPSS, NVivo];
- Experience in presenting and explaining research and data;
- Ability to work both with a small team and independently.
- High-level report writing & oral communication skills.
- Understanding of issues for Greater Western Sydney & non-government community services.
- An inquiring view of the world.
- An understanding of the not for profit and community sector.
- Familiarity with service and/or project evaluation; interviewing skills
- Ability to prepare data visualisations and infographics
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: children & families; people with disabilities; young people; disadvantaged communities; health; education & training; social impact measurement.
- Good negotiation skills.
- Administrative experience.
Related to Social, Community, Home Care & Disability Services Award Level 6 + Superannuation
Ability to work comfortably at Level 6 is crucial.
About the organisation
WESTIR Ltd is a community-based research & information service which is incorporated as a not-for-profit Company limited by guarantee. WESTIR was established in 1981
Our core funding comes from Community Services in the NSW Department of Communities and Justice, under the Targeted Earlier Intervention Program. We receive specific project funding on occasions, and also earn income from information and research consultancies, etc.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Senior Research & Information Officer via Pro Bono Australia.