About the role
- Become a part of a team that is devoted to making the world a healthier place
- This role is responsible for the effective research, project planning, written development, and administration of philanthropic grants funding submissions
- Permanent – Full-time (35 hours)
- Flexible work options available
The Trusts & Foundations Specialist plays a key strategic role in growing fundraising income from new and known grants to sustain BDI’s future growth. This role is critical to enable BDI to focus on key initiatives driven by the needs and wants of people with lived experience, so the organisation is not at the mercy of competitive government grants to undertake its strategic activity. More specifically, this role is responsible for ensuring the effective research, project planning, written development, and internal administration (including acquittals) of philanthropic grants funding submissions. Specific to this position will be the ability to write compelling grants proposals. This is a relationship-based role, requiring a high degree of emotional intelligence, tact, compassion, empathy and professionalism, as well as an ability to inspire support for the Black Dog Institute.
- Support a pro-active Trusts & Foundations Program to significantly grow tied income for Black Dog Institute.
- Support the Philanthropy and Development Senior Manager and Director, Fundraising and Development, in the stewardship of trusts and foundations and in building new relationships.
- Actively participate in the Research Translation Framework to optimise tied funding and partnering opportunities.
- Participate, when required, in Black Dog Foundation meetings, and work closely with board members to grow tied opportunities.
- Provide strategic advice on funding and sector trends and identify opportunities to ensure the organisation is well-positioned to meet its 5-years strategic goals.
- Research and recommend philanthropic funders aligned with BDI’s mission and 5-years-strategic plan through targeted prospecting, grants search directories, and industry networking in Australia and overseas.
- Working with Research, Clinic, Service Engagement teams, and other internal stakeholders, manage, facilitate and lead writing, and submit compelling and tailored funding applications.
- Manage a portfolio of existing relationships with partners that provide philanthropic support to BDI.
- Work alongside team members in the Philanthropy & Development Team & closely with peers in the Partnerships Team to maximise opportunities from the corporate and philanthropic sectors by developing proposals, pitches & updates for corporate foundations and Major Donors.
- Working with the Supporter Engagement Team ensure appropriate collateral and/or support material is developed on time and within budget to communicate appropriately with T&F.
- Monitor and report on pipeline performance against budgets, success rates and projected income and share regular reports with senior management.
- Be proactive in selecting and applying organisational tools for alert stage through notification of outcome stage and reporting dates.
- 3+ years’ experience in a similar role or a clearly demonstrated capacity to meet with requirements of the role.
- A proven track record in securing tied income from trusts and foundation, corporate or major donors, including prospecting, engagement and pitching.
- Brilliant interpersonal and communications skills, with a proven ability to develop genuine long-term relationships with a wide range of stakeholders to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Strong influencing and networking skills with a proven ability to develop productive, results-focused relationships and inspire people to support a worthy cause.
- Extensive experience in writing successful funding applications and proposals.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and as part of a team, with a positive approach and with all levels of executive and management to influence strategy and program funding.
- Track record in driving and achieving financial targets.
- High level of personal initiative and resourcefulness with high attention to detail and a sound ability to think critically and strategically.
- Willing to travel interstate as needed and ability to work outside business hours occasionally.
- Understanding of, or experience, in government funding applications.
- A relevant tertiary qualifications in Arts, Business, Commerce, Marketing, Law or related field.
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector and a commitment to fundraising as a profession with alignment to Black Dog Institute’s work, mission and values.
- Blackbaud NXT and Raisers Edge Knowledge are a plus.
Please apply via the link below with your resume and cover letter addressing the selection criteria and your interest in Black Dog Institute.
Due to to volume of applications we receive, only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted. Candidates who apply via email will not be considered.
Advertisements are subject to closing earlier than specified if a suitable candidate is appointed.
Blackdog Institute is committed to achieving a diverse workforce and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
About the organisation
The Black Dog Institute is a Medical Research Institute and a global leader in translational mental health research. We harness the latest technology and other tools to quickly turn our world-class research findings into clinical services, education and e-health products that improve the lives of people with mental illness and the wider community.
We pride ourselves on translating our own world leading Workplace Mental Health research into an award-winning culture that encompasses a holistic view of wellbeing. We aim to create a positive, mentally healthy workplace that recognises the importance of meaningful work, balanced lifestyles, psychological well-being and continual learning whilst being guided by our core values - Collaboration, Compassion, Excellence, Innovation and Respect. We offer:
- Competitive salaries
- Salary packaging
- Commitment to Learning and Development
- Flexible working hours and work-life balance
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly office
- Social and team events
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Trusts and Foundations Manager via Pro Bono Australia.