About the organisation
About the role
We are seeking an enthusiastic person to join the small team working for Sam Hibbins, Greens MP for Prahran
The successful candidate will be responsible for digital and written communications and campaigns – related to local electorate issues and state-wide issues.
If you don’t meet all the selection criteria but feel like you’d be a strong candidate, we’d love to hear from you. Graduates are encouraged to apply.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Values that align with the Greens’ values of social justice, environmental sustainability, peace, and grassroots democracy.
- Reliable, able to work independently with a high level of personal accountability, self-initiative and drive
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, self-direction with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines and budget constraints
- Highly developed written, oral and interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate and develop strong relationships, both internally and with external stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience developing communications, running campaigns and advocacy on various issues
- Technical knowledge related to social media, websites, and use of databases
- Sound understanding of clear and effective communications and design. Graphic design, video production and editing skills are useful but not essential
- Willingness to try new things to get the best results and to learn and understand the changing media and digital landscape.
The communications advisor will work alongside the MP and other staff including the constituent liaison advisor and policy advisor, and be responsible for:
- Implementing a wide range of communications tactics and managing mail outs, social media, e-blasts and websites
- Developing, executing and evaluating campaigns on key issues, through a range of tactics including petitions, videos, graphic design, and events
- Proactively building community awareness of Sam Hibbins MP and key issues
- Keeping up to date with the latest messaging and communications research to help improve our work wherever possible
- Coordinating campaigns and communications with other Greens MP’s offices
- Managing a communications budget, including allocating and forecasting spending, keeping track of outgoing communication expenses and submitting receipts to Parliament of Victoria .
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT:
Sam Hibbins MP is recruiting a Communications Advisor under the terms and conditions of an Electorate Officer at 8 days (0.8) per fortnight == for his office in Prahran. The position is an ongoing role, pending the 2022 state election. Family-friendly hours are available, however some out-of-hours work will be required.
Electorate Officers are employees of the Victorian Parliament, directly accountable to the Member in whose electorate they are employed. Electorate Officers have a main role in supporting the Member, a position which requires a high degree of loyalty, versatility and the ability to maintain confidentiality on behalf of the Member and those who contact the office.
Salary: Starts at 78,654 (pro rata) plus superannuation, rising to $89,927with increasing levels of experience as a Parliament of Victoria electorate officer (Grade 2.1 – 2.8).
The enterprise bargaining agreement has an annual increase of 2%, plus annual band increases (approx 1.75%) after successful performance review.
How to apply
In no more than 350 words please send through a cover letter that addresses the key selection criteria, and your CV (not included in the word count), in a single document.
Please quote in application: Communications Advisor via Pro Bono Australia.